1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bobcat killed our rooster on our porch!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chicksurreal, Dec 18, 2013.

1. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    I just feel sick.

A bobcat came right up on our porch today and got our beautiful black Andalusian cockerel. My SO heard something hit the glass door and went out to see what it was. A bobcat was running away with Rambo. He dropped him and ran off, but it was too late. I just feel so horrible right now. [​IMG]

We've been letting them free range during the day with us checking on them frequently. We are both at home during the day so we have a lot of time to check on them. This bobcat has been a problem for our neighbors but I hadn't heard about any attacks for weeks.

So, so sad.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Sometimes having a dog outside with birds has benefits, especially with small threats like bobcat, foxes and hawks. In past, keepers of free-range chickens seldom did so without the barnyard dog. Keeping birds more like free-range pets is asking for trouble.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Sorry for your loss. Food must be scarce for a wild animal to snatch a rooster off your porch. Or maybe a young, inexperienced predator.

4. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Bobcats raise kittens in the state capital of Missourri. The kittens play in shadows of children's swing sets while mother hunts rabbits in border areas of urbanites yards. They do not have a reason to fear us so they do not. Same goes for most other urban predators. It is time we recognize we share such habitats as well as more rural locations with habituated critters.

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

6. chicksurreal

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    We do have two dogs that are out for part of the day. I really hate learning lessons at the expense of our animals. We will definitely be taking more precautions.

As a side note, this bobcat took a chicken from our neighbors yard with her great pyrinese (sp?) outside, she was also outside on the others side of the house. This happened in full daylight. So I think the bobcat is either very hungry or young. Not sure which.

7. chicksurreal

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Thanks, it has been a very hard lesson for us. We will be making some changes for sure.

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]WOW, this is just crazy
    I agree a good size dog would be a good way to keep wild critters off the porch.
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

9. chicksurreal

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Thanks very much.

We do have two big dogs, but we don't have them outside all day. That may change.

10. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I bet bobcat simply made grab and run after making calculation dog was not a real obstacle. No need for desperation. The Great Pyrenees was bred to guard herding animals that actually help with their defense by staying together and to tackle predators that do not normally have the grab and run option like a employed by bobcat getting chicken. Great Pyrenees had to deal with predators that would have to stay with a prey item since they cannot outrun dog while carrying it. Then dog(s) forced predator to give up catch. If bobcats a consistent problem then consider making so you have perimeter of short vegetation dogs can see bobcat approaching through and also serve as sort of a barrier chickens want to stay out of. I have so birds have cover patches birds concentrate their activities around and dogs can see bad guys approach.

Also possibility some dogs are dead-heads with respect to bobcats and are not motivated to chase them off.

You could also shoot bobcat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by