1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bobcat maybe? What steals hens and leaves NO trace AT ALL??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kryptoniteqhs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    In the last week or so, I have had 2 hens VANISH! No feathers, no bodies, no signs of a struggle NOTHING! I looked for 2 and a half hours last night for one of them. I climbed on roofs, went through woods checked in hay, I covered EVERYTHING! The only 2 clues are: The other day after the first hen disappeared my bf found some paw prints. Looked like big cat, or dog prints right outside of the coops, second, last night when we discovered the second hen had been abducted, we looked everywhere and my sister saw glowing blue eyes in the woods and the sillouette of what sounded like a bobcat. Most small animals like squirrels and groundhogs, are not careful about how they move, they are VERY noisey when they do so. This animal was very careful about his movements, swift sounding. All I could hear was the crunching of the leaves as it slowly moved farther and farther away.

2. Don

Don Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Oil City, PA
    Dont discount the human animal ...

3. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    i thought of that, but who steals chickens!! and why?

4. Don

Don Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Oil City, PA
    Honestly, since I don't know the area that your chicks reside in ... I cant say with any certainty.

Where I used to live, the Phoenix area, homeless people would take them ... for food. And there is also the 'mindless punk' factor too ... kids taking them just to take them.

I really hope you find and are able to take care of the culprit!

Peace ...

Don

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

A fox or a coyote will also snatch them up and run too.

6. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Taking the whole bird sounds like an animal with a litter of young to feed.

7. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Lock them up tight and sit and watch tonight....or better yet put them in the bathtub! I have read of others who did that when the chickens needed protecting!

Good luck

8. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    A few years ago I lost several Guineas to bobcats, one or two at each attack. Each time there were definite signs of a struggle and lots of feathers where I think the cat caught the birds. No bodies, as I think the bobcat took the Guineas elsewhere to actually eat. In our area the bobcats were (are) very bold... we've seen them strolling across our property during daylight hours.

On one occasion I got out to the coop while the bobcat was still there with one of my Guineas in it's mouth. When it didn't run off after my screaming at it, I got my 22 out and fired a couple of shots into the gound near it, just trying to get it to drop the bird and run. Well, it dropped the bird, but slowly sauntered off a couple of yards to sit and watch me. Very bold.... and beautiful!

Good luck finding the predator... I'm sorry about your birds.

9. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    lol thank you guys!! Do groundhogs eat chickens? I have one living under the barn thats ready to be shot as well. I locked EVERYBODY up and took my escape artist home.

10. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Quote:thanks...so i can probably rule out the bobcat then? I just dont know what would take them off to eat them, but leave NO feathers at all?!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by