Bobcat predator caught (GRAPHIC photo)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by scgamecock, Feb 8, 2009.

1. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    This is the bobcat that has been terrorizing and just about eliminated this lady's flock of chickens.She works with my wife at the City of Conway and she sent us this picture.She contacted the gamewarden and wanted him trapped and relocated but he said that the cat would find his way back and the only way to get rid of him was to kill it.He was trapped in the fence and had killed 7 before he was shot.She does let her's free range in the day and shut's them up at night.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I have this sappy side that says awww you killed him. But then I have the realistic side that say congrats on your preditor. God only knows how many kitties and what nots he has "taken care of".

The game warden could have trapped and relocated to someplace else- only to have the taste for chickens.

Good job [​IMG] , but where theres one....

3. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    there was one ruuning around my area about 5 yrs ago got 3 of my outside cats and neihbors cats. i actually saw it one day with a dead cat in its mouth running across the road. knock on wood i have had no problems with predators the 3yrs iv had chickens. i see hawks fly over but the never tryed to get them my run is open on top which is suprising i havrnt lost any yet . my neihbor lost some of hers to the bird dog down the road. because she didnt keep them in a fenced area.

4. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I personally have had only one incident with a neighbor's dog's that broke into my son's bantam pen and killed about 15 chickens.

5. Bacchus

Bacchus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    Edit: Just read it wasn't yours... But I wonder if you can eat bobcats...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  6. scgamecock

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I don't know but this lady lives probably 15 to 20 miles from me so he was no threat to mine.

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Beautiful cat...shame it had to be killed but it would return if relocated.

8. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Nice,post him on www.taxidermy.net.Maybe you can recoop some of money from the birds you lost.Is that Conway,N.H?
    In N.H.,Tony.

9. Duppydo

Duppydo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    It is a beautiful animal and a shame it had to be killed. However,if it were doing in my hens, i'd have done the same..

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:That's the way I feel. Glad you were able to catch the culprit.

Is she thinking of keeping the birds in an enclosed run now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by