Bobcat Ripped Wing Off - Should I try to save him? How?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RHRanch, Dec 13, 2011.

1. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, I have a young rooster that had its wing torn off by a bobcat last night. He is up and around and eating and drinking. I know hes in pain because he does sit in the corner when not eating and drinking. I am studying for finals and only discovered his injury this afternoon. The wing is torn off at the shoulder joint (wing entirely gone). I am not sure if its clean or if bone is exposed, its well scabbed and I am loathe to mess with it, lest he bleed out. What do you all think? Anyone have any luck with this sort of injury? Anything I can do as supportive care? Or should I just cull him? I appreciate any advise either way.

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    You will get lots of advice here. I would euthanize. Good luck making the right decision for you and your Roo.

3. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    If he's still eating a drinking I would just see what happens. Watch and make sure it does not get infected. Chickens can do just fine without a wing, you'll just need to make sure he has a roost for him thats low enough.

4. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I also would isolate him now if you haven't already. The other chickens will see his wound and peck it.

5. RHRanch

he's isolated in a clean environment

6. RHRanch

Quote:See, I am wondering if I should give him antibiotics (I know from when I was bitten by a feral cat that cat bites will cause an infection) and then pack and wrap the wound with gauze and vetwrap and see how it goes. On the other hand, I hate him to be in pain or suffer too much.

7. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    You could give him some antibiotics, but if the wound is already scabbed over I wouldn't do anything else to it. If its still fresh and bleeding I would clean it with betadine iodine, cover with neosporin and wrap it in gauze with the vet wrap.

8. RHRanch

Its scabbed over. I would be afraid to touch it. I worry that it is likely some exposed bone under the scab. I have Tylan soluble do you think that would work? Or should I get something else?

9. LindsayB

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I think that would be fine, it wouldn't hurt.

10. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by