Bobcat wiped out my flock and left one injured.. Help needed.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by namastemama, Jan 13, 2014.

1. namastemama

namastemama Chillin' With My Peeps

A bob cat came in and killed all but two of my chickens, tore through hardware cloth even. I have one chicken that seems ok, but she wont stand and one wing is floppy and she wont move the leg on the same side. There are no visible injuries. I have been keeping her inside in a dog rate and giving her vitamins, food and water with no improvement. My vet does not care for chickens, so Im stuck.

Can any give me some advice? Im leaning towards needing to put her down, but I live in the city and my neighbors would freak if I pulled out an axe and took care of her that way. Any suggestions would be appreciated .

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  2. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I would ignore your neighbor and do what you feel is necessary.

3. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Probably in "Shock" which may do her in, keep her warm and calm. Check her for puncture wounds under her feathers, apply antibiotic to any you may find. Surprised that the bobcat came in as you say your in the city. All you can do is try your best, but knowing you might have to put her down. I'd do what I thought was humanely possible without a vet. Best to you and her.

4. katylox

katylox New Egg

Jan 8, 2014
    She may just be sore and have torn muscles. Is she still eating okay? She probably just needs some time to heal. Could you get another hen to put with her? Chickens do not eat well if they are alone, boil an egg and mash it with some quick oats. A little apple cider vinegar in the water will give vitamin C which promotes healing. If you had just been mauled, you would need some recovery time too. I have had bobcats attack my geese. If the neck is broken , its over. If its just a hurt wing or leg, she may recover.
    I lost almost all my flock to bobcats, I had a momma and baby bobcats that plagued me for 3 years. She took up residence and I finally had to get a pair of great Pyreneese pups. NO MORE BOBCATS[​IMG]

5. namastemama

She has no visable sign of injuries. I tried putting the last lone hen with her and the healthy hen just pecked her like mad so I took her out. Shes eating ok. I have had her in isolation for 5 days no with no signs of improvement.

6. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I wonder if she is partially paralized.

7. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Try a clean needle and gently poke the bottom of her good foot and then try it on the other foot to see if she has any feelings on the bad side. You can measure how she reacts with the good foot.

8. namastemama

Nothing. I think your right, shes paralyzed on the one side. DH wants to euthanize her and eat her. Im a bit squeamish as we have never done either....

9. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I have no experience in doing that. We raised three pigs when we were kids, named them all. Come home to two killed and my dad and uncle processing them. Well when it was time to eat them, me and my siblings wouldn't eat them. Unfortunately they were pets. Third pig was exchanged for beef. I know it is part of farming, if its a pet, maybe not. If the hen was not a pet to you, it might be a good experience. Its what you can tolerate.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  10. pwand

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    If you chose to process her, lots of good info on the internet, like youtube to teach how to do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by