Bobcat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by aussiedude248, Nov 25, 2010.

1. aussiedude248

aussiedude248 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Punta Gorda FL
    I live in a residential neighborhood and we have 1 small bobcat and we lost one mallard hen (Sliced the Neck) but my Drake was ok. So I decided to get two mallard drakes in Jan. From Metzer Farms. We are building a 7ft coop with a build in run and we have Hardware cloth around the run. We have latches that close up the run at night to. So do you think I should get a electric poultry fence to turn on at night???
    I'm only 13 and it's either a Ipad for X-mas or a electric fence but I rather keep my pets safe then have a Ipad.

Thank You
    Brandon

PS. (I live in a Residential neighborhood which means no Fire weapons or Arrows. But do you think I can put a chicken breast out there from Publix with some rat poison in it? I have a 1 acre field next to my house to put it there. Give me your thoughs.) [​IMG]

2. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Electric fence for sure. Bobcats are semi protected here, so make sure of the laws in your area. I would just call animal control.

3. aussiedude248

Oct 21, 2010
    Punta Gorda FL
    My Moms friend was saying when any animals touches there Eelectric fence they had goats and every night they would see two coyote's trying to get them but the fence zaped them and they never came pack and this was 2 years ago and they still have the goats.

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Not sure what area you live in, but you should be able to get both. You won't need a big control box for a small area, just one that put out a good jolt. I looked on Craigslist in Fl. and found some in the Tampa and norht central areas for under $25. Then go to the feed store and get the rest of the stuff you need, another $20. New is not always the best way to go. Some people sell great products because they no longer need them. Almost foorgot the ground rods, this is the one place you can NOT get something that might work. A cheap product where and your fence won't work. Sometimes you can find them for a few dollars each and other times they run $10 each. At 13, you could cut some lawns or clean out someones coops or barns to pay for the fence. Not all things you want has to be paid for by your family. Work hard for what you want and in 25 years we will be looking at you like people look at Bill Gates.

5. aussiedude248

Oct 21, 2010
    Punta Gorda FL
    Thank you I live in Punta Gorda FL. not one of my neighbors have ducks or chickens we live in a pretty upscale neighborhood and plus there all old too but I do lawns I have saved up $120.00 and Thank you for the Info about the fence. PS: $-60.00 on the 120.00 my 2 ducklings cost $56.00.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by