Bobcat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by aussiedude248, Dec 16, 2010.

1. aussiedude248

aussiedude248 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Punta Gorda FL
    Any one have a Bobcat problem with ducks, chicken, geese etc. Long story short last year a bobcat got one of my ducks any methods to get rid of them I know like pee around the area spread dog fur etc. But any others. I'm getting 3 male mallard ducklings next week from Metzer Farms and this month I saw 3 bobcats. JEEZE all of a sudden I'm getting ducks again and I seen 3 I just want to buy some Chicken from Publix and shove rat posion in it and let them eat it. Just wish I could call animal control and let them come out but we are really not supposed to have ducks because it's a res. neigherhood so IDK need your thoughs and suggests. Remember residential neighorhood no fire weapons or arrows just need something I rather have a raccon then a bobcat I think?? [​IMG]

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Put a radio in the coop on a talk station. They will think people are around & should avoid the area. Maybe get a big dog. Good luck!

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    [​IMG] We have bobcats here, but never been a problem with our chickens. We have the dang coons and oppossums that cause problems [​IMG] Could you try a trap?

4. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Bobcats can be a big problem. I lost 11 roos in 2 nights to one. I have a Pyreneese now and don't have any problems.

5. Mountain Man Jim

Mountain Man Jim Chillin' With My Peeps

I’m in the Pyrenees camp as well. They’re a sure cure for bobcats, ours treed the kitty. But, they may not be very accepted in a residential neighborhood.

It sounds like you might have a dog. Is it trained for chicken guarding duty?

Jim

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  6. aussiedude248

Oct 21, 2010
    Punta Gorda FL
    Thanks for you replys I do have dogs a 1 year old beagle who was afraid of my last 2 and I have a 10 yr old Yellow lab and she has a hard time walking + I'm only 13 so I cant get another dog soo.... BUT I found something like these things if you go to
    http://www.randallburkey.com/Predator-Deterrents/products/371/ and look at the first 2 ( The black box abd the blue cap on the top one) suggestions???

7. aussiedude248

Oct 21, 2010
    Punta Gorda FL
    Quote:I will try it! [​IMG]

8. aussiedude248

Oct 21, 2010
    Punta Gorda FL
    Quote:For a Pyrenees I don't thing will do well in SW FL summers can reach 100*F [​IMG] BUT on the bright really like the dog [​IMG]

9. aussiedude248

Oct 21, 2010
    Punta Gorda FL
    Quote:I know you can rent a trap here I could just say it a Rabbit Hutch and hide the Ducks in the house??? Just say the bobcat killled mine BUT we do have 3 or so I think [​IMG]

10. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Quote:For a Pyrenees I don't thing will do well in SW FL summers can reach 100*F [​IMG] BUT on the bright really like the dog [​IMG]

I live in Texas where it stays 100 deg from late June-August and sometimes reaches 105-106deg. Shave them in May and they are fine. I know a lot of people here who never shave them and they do fine. Pyreneese guard all night and find a cool place and sleep most of the day unless you are outside with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by