Bobcat

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jmagill, Dec 18, 2014.

1. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    Husband had to shoot a bobcat this morning. Fought our cat and then would not run away from my husband. Kept trying to get the chickens. The neighbors down the road saw him yesterday afternoon. Too much time roaming in the daylight. Something must have been wrong with it. Game and Fish picking up the body to check it out.

2. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    Good shooting!

Hopefully there is no "kin" around ...

Critters will hunt wen their bely tells them too ...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  3. jmagill

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    We see bobcats all the time. They just don't stick close when we are outside, they run off. This animal was not taking off or giving up ground. Not usual for a healthy animal even if it was very hungry.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I hope that your cat has had a rabies shot, and that the bobcat proves to be negative for rabies. Around here that would be a real concern.

5. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    Are sure it wasn't neighbor's cat

6. jmagill

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    The neighbors don't have a bobcat as a pet.It is a wild animal and actually pretty easy to tell the difference.

7. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    I was joking

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Wow! What an experience! I, too, would be worried about rabies, although feline distemper could have addled this bobcat enough to make stupid decisions. I hope your pet cat recovers. Let us know what Fish and Game learns.

And, as a side note, occasionally a person will raise a bobcat as a pet only to discover a bobcat does not make a good house pet and is released. This results in an animal with wild instincts that lacks the fear/respect of a human and has no idea how to hunt.

9. jmagill

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    Fish and Game is picking it up shortly. They will test it and let me know the results. My cat has no scratches or bites but we will be watching closely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by