Bobcats in NYS

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by woodmort, Feb 2, 2012.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I thought maybe some of you may be interested in this that was in this morning's Binghamton, NY Press. One of the things that I find interesting is the quote about expecting "to see this kind of thing in Utah" This is what leads me to believe people misidentify bobcats for mountain lions--when they see the former they assume it is the latter because they aren't familiar with either.

http://www.pressconnects.com/articl...-population?odyssey=tab|topnews|img|FRONTPAGE

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. kgardiner

kgardiner Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2011
    North Port, FL
    I know we sure have a healthy bobcat population here in Florida. Just today one was trying to get into my fully enclosed run. The chickens were squawking like mad, I looked out the window to see it on top of my run! Thankfully the top held! The bobcat was huge - it killed four hens I had before I built my 'fortress'.. Apparently it held up ok - this time. I tried to get off a shot at it but the dog scared it off. I didn't realize pelts vould turn up to $200 - I will have one soon considering I know he will be back until he gets what he came for.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They are also quite common in most parts of Pa, and far more common in NJ than they were when I was a kid.

4. demerson

demerson Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    Otego NY
    we see them quite a bit up here in otsego county ... especially when I'm up in the stand

5. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oh NO there goes my faith in the media
    [​IMG]
    It never ceases to amaze me when I read things like this. Good picture. (aww isn't it cuuuute?)

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    We have them here too...

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    The truth of the matter that--like coyotes--they are pretty much every place, it is just when they cause damage that people notice. I've lived my whole 73 years in upstate NY and, while I've seen plenty of tracks when hunting and fishing, only have seen one of these cats once.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    55 + years ago I spent an evening on the Sourland Mts with a pair of coonhounds running a bobcat. It would tree, and then as we would approach it would bail from the tree squalling at the top of its lungs. After a multi hour chase, it finally holed up in an area known as 'Ringing Rocks'. Although I have seen tracks, I have never seen one in the wild.

9. kgardiner

kgardiner Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2011
    North Port, FL
    I wish I could say I never saw one in the wild, I have one trying to assasinate my flock! Saw him twice this week - in my scope next time
    I hope!

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    [​IMG]I see them here at 7L here's one I trapped & mounted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by