Bobs hatched in march still not laying

Discussion in 'Quail' started by missred871, Sep 6, 2010.

1. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    okay we have a problem, I have atleast 14 females, and 4 males, they hatched out in March, not one egg yet. Why?!?!?!

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Sometimes it takes up to a year for them to lay.

3. missred871

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    Quote:oh, no. that really sucks, we butchered a few extra males, they were soooooooooo delicious! I neeeed EGGS!

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

The first batch I had didn't lay the first year. They laid the 2nd year and only for one year.

The second bath laid the summer after they hatched and again this spring. I no longer have them so I'm not sure how long they lay

5. missred871

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    Quote:sheesh, sounds like they are hard to keep as far as breeding goes, they taste much better than the coturnix though. dang, wish I'd known that. The breeder I got the eggs from said they'd lay in 8-10 weeks. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to hope.

6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Sorry about your Bobs, and that the breeder mis-informed you. Bobs take about 24 weeks to mature, and that should be slaughter age also I believe. That usually puts them far enough into the fall that they won't lay until the following spring. You might be able to push that with some artificial lighting. I think they take like 17 hours of sunlight or something. They don't lay a lot of eggs like coturnix (which do lay in 6 to 8 weeks). So when they do start laying, don't waste time hatching all you can get, if you are serious about raising them for meat birds.

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:THEY ARE A SEASONAL LAYER AND WONT LAY UNTIL THEY ARE A YEAR OLD IN MOST CASES

8. kingpincray

kingpincray Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Palmerston North
    I use artificial lights on mine and I find even that takes 8 months before they lay.

9. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I lucked out the local breeder I bought mine from sold them at 4 months old in feb and come april they started laying like clockwork. I have hatched as many as I could this summer. the heat kina shut my girls down, they have barely started laying again but I think it is pretty much over for this season my coturnix are still laying like crazy. when I put lights on mine I increased a little at a time until it was 16 hours a day we have about 12 hrs here now so it is like 2 hrs at either end more.

10. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:sheesh, sounds like they are hard to keep as far as breeding goes, they taste much better than the coturnix though. dang, wish I'd known that. The breeder I got the eggs from said they'd lay in 8-10 weeks. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to hope.

Either they don't know much about a breed of bird they're selling, or they just took you for ignorant in order to make a few pennies.......and I hope it's not the latter. If so, they need to publicised for their great scam work!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by