Bob's (the Australorp) Comb in Winter?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rudimyers, Oct 30, 2011.

1. rudimyers

rudimyers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Chesnee, SC
    Hi, I live near Chesnee, South Carolina. Our average low in January is 29. We either get snow or ice every winter. Do I need to worry about Bob's comb in the winter time? He is about a year old, so this is the first time I have had to worry about it.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Keep your coop dry and well-vented and Bob will do just fine. Even if he should get a touch of frostbite, he will recover quickly, although he may be short a point or two afterwards. 29 degrees is nothing. Your birds shouldn't even notice.

Good luck.

3. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    I'm not completely sure bare skin can get frostbite at 29*. Hmmm I wonder....

Anyway, no not a worry in the world, none what so ever. Ok well one worry, if they are bobbing for corn at night when your not watching, he might. But other than that, he'll be just fine. Actually he will be kinda hot. Open your coop as wide as possible and leave it that way all winter.

4. CapeReds

CapeReds Out Of The Brooder

Great name for a chicken, Bob. We love it.

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

one of my Barred Rocks from last year....this year I will leave them in the coop till it warms a bit more...

6. rudimyers

rudimyers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Chesnee, SC
    Thank you all for the replies. Bob free ranges (along with his harem of five Red Stars) so the only time he is cooped up (har har) is at nighttime. The coop is a Lowe's shed that is 8X8X8 and there is an attached run (6x6x6) they can all access via a doggie door.

7. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    here in va. i have never seen bad frostbite on any of our roosters. we have seen temps down to 10f and lower and the roosters are fine. if you build your coops too airtight then moisture builds up and serious frostbite can occur. some airflow even in extreme cold is better. in south carolina they should be fine with lows in the 20's.

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Rub vasoline on his comb and that shouldn't happen. You will probably see it get redder also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by