1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bobwhite Chick Foot Problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cgilson, Nov 10, 2013.

1. cgilson

cgilson New Egg

Feb 2, 2012
    In our last two bobwhite broods, we've experienced a high mortality rate starting in the third week or so. It looks like the top of their feet are getting sores on them, then they start picking at the sore, then they're dead within a couple days. A drop of Bactine on the injury seems to help, but I'm not sure if that's helping with the primary problem, or if it's preventing secondary infections from the picking.

I just noticed one limping, and I'm concerned this brood is affected as well. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Corey

PS, this isn't a full-scale agricultural operation, we just raise a few of them as a hobby.

2. cgilson

cgilson New Egg

Feb 2, 2012
    Actually, I may have found the problem - I bought a new feeder a couple broods ago, and I just noticed that it has sharp edges that they could hit their feet on. In fact, one of them DID cut the top of its foot while they were scurrying around for cover when I reached in to get the injured one that I noticed earlier. I've replaced the feeder with a plastic one. I hope it's not too late for these chicks!

However, if anyone knows of something like this that sounds like a different problem, please let me know!

Corey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by