Bobwhite...Coturnix...or Buttons??? Decisions...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ppurv326, May 9, 2011.

1. ppurv326

ppurv326 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    Stevens Point
    SO im getting a couple of quails soon, i would like to get chicks and hand rear them to a bird that will be somewhat human friendly. Which of the three species would be best for this??? Coturnix? Bobwhite? or Button??? Any and all input is very welcome

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    For Your Ideas Coturnix Is The Only Choice

3. Fawkes

Fawkes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Buttons. They're my favorite, and as you know, I have experience with very tame buttons. I'm not really sure if my case was unique but all I did was hold them while reading, watching tv, etc. I'd use a portable dvd player (so it was in my lap) to watch re-watch Lost episodes on and I'd have Halo in my hand and he'd actually watch a bit of Lost. It was so cute. He actually still does that. i'm sure with enough handling and getting them young enough (since hatching in my case) they should be tame.

4. ppurv326

May 2, 2011
    Stevens Point
    Thanks Guys ill take that into consideration. If buttons and Coturnix are the ones known for it then ill stick with whats already known. one coturnix and one button see which ones more friendly and in either case it will be nice to have a few birds

5. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Coturnix

6. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    I decided to start with Coturnix.
    I have one that does not mind when I pick her up to inspect her, the others will try to push out but eventually resign themselves, they were not handraised from chicks like the first.
    my buddy has a few bobwhite, they are constantly moving, looking to get AWAY FROM THE MONSTER.

7. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:My buttons are very tame too, one of my females will eat from my hand and let me pick her up without freaking out

8. ppurv326

May 2, 2011
    Stevens Point
    i think ill get a coturnix and a button

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I don't think you should get just one of each species, at least a pair of buttons. Coturnix are also a lot bigger and have different housing requirments then buttons

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I would recommend getting a pair of buttons rather than one button....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by