Bobwhite hen advice

Discussion in 'Quail' started by dowellmj, Aug 3, 2011.

1. dowellmj

dowellmj Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2008
    Hi, I am considering getting 2 bobwhite hens and have the perfect large aviary for them but as I havent kept them before, do the females call and if so, how loud would you say it is? (tough question but ideally looking for a comparison).

I have neighbors on both side of me and a small property so dont want to annoy them?

any advice greatly appreciated!

2. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    The hens will make a noise like an owl sounds

But why dont you google some videos on bobwhite hen call

you might get something

3. dowellmj

Nov 26, 2008
    thanks for the quick reply...I check some out but it is tough to figure out how loud it is or how loud it would be for just a couple of birds.
    would you compare it with any other bird?

thanks

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Bob Hens Run A Full Spectrum On Vocalizations Including The Bob White Call As Many Others. Usually The Loudest Vocalization Os The Bob White Call. A Pair Would Work Much Better Than A Pair Of Females... If Left To Their Own Design They Are Evil Lil Wenches And It Would Only Be A Matter Of Time Before You Had A Single Hen. You Can Find Many Videos On You Tube For Bob White Calls And Vocalizations

5. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Loud Is A Relative Term... Kinda Depends On The Listener As Whats Considered Loud... They Most Volume Can Be Heard In The Bob White Call And A "hoy Pey" Call That Seems To Be A Hen Specialty

6. dowellmj

Nov 26, 2008
    I hear u (excuse the pun!) that sound is subjective but I am trying to get a feel if 2 females or a pair are rooster loud and calls have that duration or...??

I am allowed and have chicken hens which are very quiet and only vocalize during the day and don't annoy people but we can't have roosters.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    The hens are not loud at all. I have an aviary full of many hens and you have to be within 20 feet of the fence to really hear them and even then it is pretty soft calling. They don't do the standard "bobwhite" call that the males do, which is pretty loud. You can sometimes keep only females. I did it one year and kept only girls in one aviary. They were relatively tolerant of each other during breeding season, "the season when they all want to kill each other", and I didn't have too much trouble. A few squabbles here and there, but no blood or anything. However if you have any males around at all in their vicinity, they may start to tear each other up. So I would think if the 2 hens you are considering getting have been raised together and you have no males, I will say you should be ok with them getting along.

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Even with a pair, male and female, the male can be very loud. So I would stick to females. [​IMG]

9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Hens Do "bob White" Especially If Kept Alone Or Seperated From A Male.

10. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:How true this is! However, 2 females calling "Bobwhite" will never be as loud as even one chicken. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by