Bobwhite living with coturnix?

paneubert

Crowing
7 Years
Nov 20, 2015
Snohomish County, Washington State
My Coop
My Coop
I searched around and I do not see this mentioned anywhere. Can bobwhite live with coturnix? I know there are some diseases that are specific to bobwhite that coturnix are immune to (that is one of the few things I was able to find out), and that bobwhites can be super mean, but I have not seen much discussion about housing them together otherwise. This would be in my aviary that is around 9 feet by 6 feet. I would install some roosts for them to use if they wanted.

I think the real problem is that bobwhites tend to be very aggressive. It has actually been brought up a few times, though I'm not sure it's been answered by anyone that has tried. But I guess those who have both species might be too wise to try :)

I searched around and I do not see this mentioned anywhere. Can bobwhite live with coturnix? I know there are some diseases that are specific to bobwhite that coturnix are immune to (that is one of the few things I was able to find out), and that bobwhites can be super mean, but I have not seen much discussion about housing them together otherwise. This would be in my aviary that is around 9 feet by 6 feet. I would install some roosts for them to use if they wanted.
I had read that they will innerbreed, I was going to use 5 coturnix female and one bob male, try to hatch the eggs out on the short coturnix hatch time, I was going to call them cobobs if they hatched. I have since decided to go to only Bobs and am letting the coturnix live out their life and not replace them. I like the bobs the best and my health is forcing me to scale down, including my meat rabbits. Now these will all just be for pleasure.

I don't know if it was proven or scientifically backed up, but I was reading that if they did breed, the offspring would be sterile. Sort of like a donkey and a mule, lion and tiger, etc... Who knows.
still would be fun i think, I wonder what the males would have sounded like. Dang, now i've read this I want to try it badly again. I have the space for sure and could hatch some, keep a couple just to see how they turn out. Incubator hasn't been put up yet from large bob hatch out. I just happen to be on vacation for 11 days starting saturday. Hmmmmm

I had the coturnix for eggs and meat, loved the Bobs as a child here in Indiana, and decided to have them for pleasure. The first bunch are housed near my bedroom window and back porch, so I hear them all the time. The new ones I kept are in a large run with pee gravel floor, a christmas tree with limbs removed in areas so they can have natural cover. Tree limbs to perch and crow from and a nice big dusting area. They are loving it,and I am as well.Man, what a life!!!!

Back
Top Bottom