Bobwhite Mail Order Hatch Rates, Egg Sizes, Chick Sizes

Manchac Basin

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 22, 2013
Just throwing this out there.....I ordered 2 batches of Bobwhite quail eggs from two different sources. One was a home breeder. These were called; "Jumbo". The other batch came from a fairly well known commercial supplier. These were called; "Georgia Jumbo".

As far as the hatch rate, I know there's a few factors totally out of control of the supplier such as egg handling during shipping and the actual fertility of the egg at shipping. My hatch rates were; for the first private breeder batch of 50, I got 23 birds. For the second batch of 43, I got 16 birds. About 1/4 of the eggs appeared translucent during the whole run...they never grew at all. A good appeared to develop but never hatched and a few died in mid hatch and finally a few chicks petered out the first day. Only one in each batch appeared to show a deformity and it was a foot or legs. I kept my humidity pretty high for both about 55 to 60%. My digital therm ran between 99 and 100.

Another observation; The private Jumbo breeder eggs and chicks were consistently larger than the commercial Georgia Jumbo breeder eggs and chicks. Anyway, I'm set up with a good colony and have a large colony coop prepared to receive the first batch were are feathering out quite well.

Back
Top Bottom