Bobwhite Newbie

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Levantou, May 14, 2011.

1. Levantou

Levantou New Egg

Mar 25, 2010
    Hello,

I am new to the world of Bobwhites. I currently have 40 3 week old bobwhites waiting to be moved outside. My plan was to move these guys outside, when they are old enough, into an old pigeon coop that we have cleaned. Since this is my first time raising bobwhites I was curious to know what types of things I should have in there for them to nest. Do they use hay? Twigs? Newspaper? Also, currently I dont have any "enclosures" for them to nest in. All I have now is old cabinets hung on a wall that are divided into little sections that the pigeons used to nest in. Will they nest in the open like pigeons will or do they need a small enclosure with a little door to get in. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  2. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Not knowing what part of the world you live in, I will bypass the climate subject. As well, I'm no authority on housing where pigeons were once housed. But, as far as "nesting" for Bobs, they really don't need "nests". I raise mine in pens with 1/2" square hardware cloth flooring. This is their floor for their entire life. No nest boxes. They either lay their eggs on the wire floor, or in the sandbox (dust-box known by some). Other than that, when there's a civil war amongst a certain group, I cut some branches from a local tree and stuff in a corner so the whimpy one in the crowd will have a hiding place while his body and ego gets all healed up! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  3. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Yes, put hat and twigs in there. Also put a branch for them to perch on.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:X2

BOBS IN CAPTIVITY GENERALLY DO NOT EXHIBIT NESTING BEHAVIOR... THEY JUST LAY EGGS AND GO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by