Bobwhite pecking

brodydwhite

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2016
I have 4 breeder quail and had 5 but one got an infection from hurt foot and died. But I didn't know why and now I have noticed one hen chases all my quail around the pen and pecks there feet and legs. What do I do about it?

And now I've got 7 babies that I hatched from my breeders and they are pecking each other's feet and one is almost dead from it. What can I do?

I think bobwhites are kept with a male and a female or a male and two females, so pairs and trios. This may be why the one hen is aggressive - because she perceives the other birds she hasn't bonded with as being in her territory.

Seperate them into pairs if possible and add a lot of hiding spots so that if some bullying happens hopefully it won't be too bad by the time you get there.

As for the chicks, I've heard bob chicks are aggressive. A red light instead of a bright white light can help prevent pecking at each other, toes look like worms and eyes look shiny enough to bite.

The red light will also allow the chicks to rest better which apparently makes them less aggressive.

What are you feeding the chicks? What percent protein is it? Do you feed any treats?

Seperate the hurt one so it doesn't get any worse, is it just one attacker of the toes?
On the chicks I have changed to a red heat lamp for now and red bulb for later and they are on 30% turkeys starter and the grown ones I have put on 30% starter in case they weren't getting enough protein and they have leaves to hide in. I am thinking that the reason just the one hen is pecking is because she is semi setting( her and the male take turns)

I have 4 breeder quail and had 5 but one got an infection from hurt foot and died. But I didn't know why and now I have noticed one hen chases all my quail around the pen and pecks there feet and legs. What do I do about it?

And now I've got 7 babies that I hatched from my breeders and they are pecking each other's feet and one is almost dead from it. What can I do?

I think bobwhites are kept with a male and a female or a male and two females, so pairs and trios. This may be why the one hen is aggressive - because she perceives the other birds she hasn't bonded with as being in her territory.

Seperate them into pairs if possible and add a lot of hiding spots so that if some bullying happens hopefully it won't be too bad by the time you get there.

As for the chicks, I've heard bob chicks are aggressive. A red light instead of a bright white light can help prevent pecking at each other, toes look like worms and eyes look shiny enough to bite.

The red light will also allow the chicks to rest better which apparently makes them less aggressive.

What are you feeding the chicks? What percent protein is it? Do you feed any treats?

Seperate the hurt one so it doesn't get any worse, is it just one attacker of the toes?

On the chicks I have changed to a red heat lamp for now and red bulb for later and they are on 30% turkeys starter and the grown ones I have put on 30% starter in case they weren't getting enough protein and they have leaves to hide in. I am thinking that the reason just the one hen is pecking is because she is semi setting( her and the male take turns)

Hi, I have the same problem... Wilma has pecked Fred's leg!!! She has injured poor Fred... I had to separate them... Fred's leg has healed but I am keeping them in separate cages... I have the high protein quail food and Wilma gets 8 mealworms per day... Fred only gets 4, he takes all day to eat them... Wilma inhales them... So I think you are right about the protein requirements of the hens... As you can probably tell Wilma and Fred are pets... LOL

Hi, I have the same problem... Wilma has pecked Fred's leg!!! She has injured poor Fred... I had to separate them... Fred's leg has healed but I am keeping them in separate cages... I have the high protein quail food and Wilma gets 8 mealworms per day... Fred only gets 4, he takes all day to eat them... Wilma inhales them... So I think you are right about the protein requirements of the hens... As you can probably tell Wilma and Fred are pets... LOL

Oh what the heck Wilma!! Fred's toes aren't mealworms.... XD!! Hope she gets over it soon!

They are doing better the male finally hatched his baby's but all of them died! I mean I have the worst luck with baby bobwhites!

Back
Top Bottom