1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Bobwhite pen questions...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Riffecreek, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Riffecreek

Riffecreek Chukar Junky

May 29, 2010
    Dunnville, Ky.
    Here in the state of Kentucky, there is a set limit on the smallest pen we can use for 14 week old quail and up not in breeder pens. This has to be 100 sq feet for the FIRST bird, then 1 sq feet for each bird after that. for example a 200 sq feet pen would hold 101 bobwhites.

Keep in mind, I'm into egg and chick production on a limited sized lot.. And worried about cross contamination from a "game" farm that raises game chickens by the hundreds within throwing distance of the corner of my property.

My question is, which one would be more suitable for raising the quail in, 4' by 50' pens 30 inches high fully roofed with metal or wood, built off the ground or flight pens built off the ground with netting for the top?

2. _Randall_

_Randall_ Songster

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:I guess my answer would be another question: Do you plan to raise them to process or sell right out...........or..............raise, and release.
    My real question though is, what level of government came up with that stupid ordinance?

3. Riffecreek

Riffecreek Chukar Junky

May 29, 2010
    Dunnville, Ky.
    Quote:The Kentucky Fish and Wildlife sets the pen size for bobwhites, This doesn't apply to any other type of game birds.

The Bobwhites that I would be keeping in the pens will be breeder birds. I will have grow out pens to hold them until they reach 14 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: