Bobwhite quail advice, please!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by canoodley, Dec 29, 2012.

1. canoodley

canoodley New Egg

Dec 29, 2012
    Oregon
    My dad decided to buy some quail to train his hunting dog, but I refused to let him kill any of them. Now I have 4 bobwhites in my aviary, and unfortunately 3 are male. I'm planning on moving them to a new enclosure, so would I be able to add more females? Even if I do, will the males kill each other during spring? The aviary I'm planning on building for them will be rather large.

Also, do you guys know if bobwhite eggs are edible? I'd love to be able to have tiny omelets and such :)

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to the quail forums!

Most definitely are Bob eggs edible! Quite tasty too!

It is always best to keep Bobs in pairs. They mate for life and don't like to be alone during mating season. They are highly territorial and need their own space during the breeding season. Breeding season starts sometime in April and lasts thru September. During this time you will need to keep each pair separated from each other pair. I also keep my bobs in an aviary and have found that those extra large wire dog crates work excellent for the breeding pairs. Try to give them at least 8 square feet per pair.

Beware, females can be more ferocious than the males and can kill other females if they get near their man! LOL

After breeding season is over, the Bobs really appreciate being all joined back together.

3. canoodley

canoodley New Egg

Dec 29, 2012
    Oregon
    Thank you so much! I'll probably put some doors on the aviary so it can be split into 3 parts.
    Thanks again!

4. bobsbirds

bobsbirds Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    Now that is some advice.That I could thank you for. But have you any simmilar advice about cali's and gambels and bluescales.Any info would be gratefully received. I am waiting for my quail to start breeding now.............

Cheer's BOB............

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Gambels, Californias and Blue Scales are kept in the same manner as Bobs basically, however you can try to keep California's in groups during breeding season. Sometimes they are not as aggressive as these others and can live together during breeding season. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by