Bobwhite Quail Brooding

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pjquail, Aug 8, 2014.

  1. pjquail

    pjquail Chillin' With My Peeps

    137
    3
    61
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hi, I am currently hatching 25 Georgia Giant Bobwhite Quail and I'm also trying to learn as much as I can about quail brooding before they hatch. So, first things first-I've heard from many people that you need a RED Heat lamp so the chicks don't become cannibalistic (?) Do you have to use a RED heat lamp? I recently bought a specific brooding heat lamp from Lowe's that I think would work fine. But I'm still confused on that. Also, I REALLY don't want to spend $20 on a measly 5lb bag of chick starter feed that will last me like a week or two. (That's almost $120 after 6 weeks) Does anyone have any suggestions for reasonable priced chick food or homemade chick food? Thanks so much! All of you are so nice [​IMG]
     
  2. MeghanChickLady

    MeghanChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

    105
    3
    63
    Aug 6, 2014
    Thank you! I bought an off brand Chick Starter that had tiny little grains of calcium things in the mix. It just said "Chick Starter: for Young Chickens and other Fowl" we bought it at Tractor Supply Co.
     
  3. MeghanChickLady

    MeghanChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

    105
    3
    63
    Aug 6, 2014
    Keep me posted on how your chicks do! I hope I helped!
     
  4. pjquail

    pjquail Chillin' With My Peeps

    137
    3
    61
    Aug 7, 2014
    Thank you so much! I DID go online to Tractor Supply and the prices were very reasonable but the shipping was like $12 which would make a 10lb bag $18 which isn't bad but not that good. I definitely will! Do you know anything about the red heat lamp situation?

    Thanks again!
     
  5. MeghanChickLady

    MeghanChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

    105
    3
    63
    Aug 6, 2014
    Hmmm. I don't know about quail, but no, I didn't use a red heat lamp for my chicks. However, I am going to hopefully begin incubating tomorrow, and the incubator does not require a red heat lamp. My mother hatched both chickens, turkeys, and pigeons with a normal lamp, and I asked her if you should with quail; she said, "It just makes it a little hotter. You can, but you don't NEED to," I hope I helped plenty. Message me how your quail do, okay? I love hearing about those kinds of things! Hope I helped!

    -Meghan
     
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  6. pjquail

    pjquail Chillin' With My Peeps

    137
    3
    61
    Aug 7, 2014
    Okay thanks a lot! When the chicks hatch and I move them into the brooder, can I just use a regular brooder heat lamp and not the red one? It's a 125 watt large bulb with a semi-flat top to balance on top of the hardware cloth on the brooder.

    Thanks again!
     
  7. barkinghills

    barkinghills Chillin' With My Peeps

    143
    12
    91
    Dec 17, 2011
    Hi,

    every feed store should carry chick starter or game bird starter. The prices you mention are really outrageous! We live in Oregon, and it is around $18 for 50 lbs of chick starter. Call around to local feed stores and you should be able to find what you need.
     
  8. pjquail

    pjquail Chillin' With My Peeps

    137
    3
    61
    Aug 7, 2014
    thanks!
     
  9. MeghanChickLady

    MeghanChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

    105
    3
    63
    Aug 6, 2014
    yes, most definitely! The normal one should do fine. If the chicks cluster towards the heat lamp, dont be worried--they always do that for me! If they "shiver," though, while clustered, you should "crank up the heat" by moving to the red lamp if you have one. Lol. But, if I were you, I wouldn't use hay in your brooder--I would use shavings. I once had a heat lamp fall in md-winter on the hay...it wasn't the brood, but it still caused a fire. We didn't lose any chickens, luckily! Good Luck!
     
  10. pjquail

    pjquail Chillin' With My Peeps

    137
    3
    61
    Aug 7, 2014
    Okay great! 80% of my bedding is made up of pine shavings and the other 20% of my bedding is the hay. I mixed it up in the brooder to create like a 3 inch thick bedding blend (is that too much or too little) I appreciate all your input guys! :)
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by