Bobwhite quail choking?

Birdman18

Songster
14 Years
Aug 8, 2008
Queens, NY
Hi,
I have this one female bobwhite that whenever she eats its looks as if shes choking. The other bobwhite quail doesn't have this problem just that one female. Would anyone know what it may be?

Thank You!!

What exactly is she doing...gasping for air, shaking food out of her mouth? Does she actually get it down?

Has she been doing this a long time? Days? Something could be stuck in her throat. You could try picking her up and holding her upside down and gently squeeze her crop area and see if stuff comes out her beak. (she will no doubt get very stressed with this, so keep this in mind). Does she have access to hay or anything you might know of that she got a hold of? You could try loading up a medicine dropper with olive oil and squirting it down her throat. (again very stressful). Oil dissolves many things in a birds crop.

Oh, and hold her forward, not backwards and only hold her like this for a few seconds only at a time so she can breathe.

Thanks twocrowsranch!

I'll try that
wink.png

Absolutely they do. Can block the treachea and stop food from going down. For Birdman...get some liquid safeguard goat wormer and mix it in the food. This may be the reason she is choking.

I tried putting some olive oil and squeezing her crop area but she still is acting as if something is stuck in her throat. In case she has a disease I did order Duramycin Powder a few weeks ago but it hasn't arrived yet. Not sure if that will help.

Anything else you think I should do?

Back
Top Bottom