Bobwhite quail egg debacle

Duckmanly

In the Brooder
May 28, 2015
I had 48 eggs and 0 hatches.Maybe 10-15 didn't appear to be fertilized but the others had a dark mass as if chicks were forming.Bad eggs or something I did/didn't do? Kept them at 100 and 60-65% humidity.The incubator has automatic turning.

If the humidity was 60 to 65% throughout the incubation time, it was too high and the egg never loss enough moisture.

Bobwhites have a 24 day incubation period.
I incubate mine at 100°F and the humidity at 43% for 20 days, I increase the humidity to 60% the last 3 or four days. Most of the time they pip on day 23 and hatch on day 24.

Too high humidity will cause the developing chick to be 'mushy' and weak. It can also cause them to become (DIS) died in shell.
A spike in temperature can also kill the chicks if it spiked at or above 104°F for a couple of hours.

If the humidity was 60 to 65% throughout the incubation time, it was too high and the egg never loss enough moisture.

Bobwhites have a 24 day incubation period.
I incubate mine at 100°F and the humidity at 43% for 20 days, I increase the humidity to 60% the last 3 or four days. Most of the time they pip on day 23 and hatch on day 24.

Too high humidity will cause the developing chick to be 'mushy' and weak. It can also cause them to become (DIS) died in shell.
A spike in temperature can also kill the chicks if it spiked at or above 104°F for a couple of hours.

Hmm.I guess ill try again with lower humidity then.I figured it was something I did wrong although I'm not happy receiving that many unfertilized eggs.

Back
Top Bottom