bobwhite quail issues HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Yogalady, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Yogalady

Yogalady Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Burbs of Philly
    OK got the quail eggs on March 6th in the afternoon - put in incubator.
    Counted that as day one.

Today is March 30, which is now day 25

I have a few eggs that have what looks like a small pencil line circle now but NOT the pipping type photos I've seen at all.

I did have a time maybe on the 21st or so that we had a power outage and I fear they died. the temp went down to 80ish but on and off I had a generator to bring the temp up a bit... very nervous.

Is it possible that they - without major pipping at this point - could still make it?

They are in a Hova Bator
    Temp and humidity have been awesome barring that one night.

HELPPPP

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I dont know how long they take , some quail seem to take like 16-18 days but some take as long as chickens or ducks , from what I have read , I dont have quail yet.
    I would say there is always a chance and give them more time. I am shure someone else willknow more .. Good luck

3. Yogalady

Mar 1, 2009
    Burbs of Philly
    The cortinux (sp) take very little time - these guys are 23ish days.

4. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    well if you had a temp drop they may be like chickens meaning then they might hatch a day or so behind. I hope soemone who knows will answer you soon [​IMG]

5. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    i would leave them a few more days just in case but i dont think you will get any. [​IMG] however there could be a small surprise. we never know. when ever i have eggs i always leave them a few days longer just in case. but if they dont hatch i would say the temp drop did it. and until they have been in your bator for 24 hours i wouldnt count it as one day. what you could do is if there is a crack in one you could try to open it and see. they say not to help anything out of its shell. but i cant stand it!![​IMG] i would give them at least 28 days

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  6. Yogalady

Mar 1, 2009
    Burbs of Philly
    Why is it that one should not help it out of it's shell? Is there a benefit to it breaking out on it's own? How does it harm them?

7. gabrielle1976

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    there are lots of things that can harm them , you can cause them to bleed to much by damageing the blood vessles , you can be jumping the gun and the chick hatches witout absorbing all of tis yolk things like that but Im not anti helping like a lot of people here seem to be I just think you need to give them a adiquite amount of time to do it on htere own .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by