Bobwhite Quail question - breeding

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pawtraitart, Nov 29, 2012.

1. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    Okay, so I have three pairs of bobwhite quail that were raised up together since chicks. They are currently in a colony type cage and I was planning on moving them to a larger cage for breeding season. Will this work or will they fight? If they do fight, I was planning on dividing them up into pairs. Now....do they pick their mate or can I just divide them up one male/one female? Sorry if these are stupid questions, but this is my first experience with bobwhites. Thanks!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Next spring your Bobwhites will need to be paired off for the up coming breeding season. Being raised together helps in that they are less likely to kill each other, but the fighting will still be ferocious.

Generally the female picks a mate and they will stay a pair for life, till one of them dies. I take it this group is young yet. Which means next spring they won't be all that aggressive yet when breeding season starts. (as they age, they get more aggressive) The best thing you can do is wait until next spring. By March or April, they all should be breeding. Once they get their hormones going, you should be able to tell who is with who by the aggressions. If you don't want to wait for it to all play out, you can pair them up yourself. Each of the pairs will become a pair as the season progresses.

Come next October, you will be able to mix them all back together for the winter covey, when they appreciate being together.

3. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    Thank you so much! This is exactly the information I needed. This will be their first season to nobody is paired up yet. I am starting to see some bickering, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by