Bobwhite Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by pebbles7998, Mar 21, 2013.

1. pebbles7998

pebbles7998 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    Ok I have 30 bobwhite quail, a mix of both male and female. I have a large area for them. They are with my chickens and doing great. I am wondering about what age do they start laying eggs? And will they hatch their own eggs?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is not advised to keep quail and chickens together. Not only do chickens carry diseases that can kill quail, but chickens are much larger than quail and the chickens can kill the quail, especially roosters. Chickens require a lower protein feed, where as quail need a diet very high in protein and the calcium in the chicken layer feed can destroy the kidneys of the male quail. So you might want to give the quail their own space.

Bobwhites rarely if ever go broody and will only set on eggs for short periods of time till they get bored. If you want to hatch babies, you will need an incubator. Bobs are mature at around 6 months old. If this is their first spring and are older than 6 months right now, they will be late to start laying. Generally adult quail will start laying sometime between March and April. Bobs less than a year old can wait until May to begin the breeding season.

3. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Cha-Ching! 60 cents!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by