Bobwhite Update

albinosilver

Songster
May 17, 2018
Day 10 in incubating bobwhite eggs. 19/24 eggs are developing well. There will be some northern, some tuxedo and possibly a few whites! It’s so cool you can see right into the egg while candling since the shell doesn’t have the pattern like coturnix.

I have a live dash set up monitoring the incubator. Just need to fix the camera and then we’ll be ready to watch the hatching around June 30th.
B48DA2E0-AEF4-4444-8B9F-C21CF64F8CBE.jpeg

A broody Old English Game Bantam just hatched and is raising 21 baby bobwhite quail for me. Another is sitting on 20 bobwhite eggs, and I have 58 eggs in the incubator. Then there are about 35 chicks in the brooder. Good luck with those last nervous moments of them hatching. A lot could go wrong still. So, good luck

I have 18 healthy little bobs now! Differences I’ve noticed between these and my coturnix...

1. Bobwhites chicks love to peck at each other. Eyes, feet, wings, any little coloured spot. I had to put grass, sticks and toys into the brooder to satisfy their pecking.

2. They are extremely skittish compared to coturnix. They’ll panic and run at any loud sound or movement. Trying to reach your hand into the brooder from above is a big no no.

Awesome! What colors do you have? Any whites? Any tuxedos? Or just all regular. All my breeder bobwhites are brown, but I ended up having a bunch of white. So far, today 17 hatched (all others have pips and are hatching) and one is white. Probably more whites coming this hatch.Last hatch I had 3 whites. Hatch before that also three whites.

Awesome! What colors do you have? Any whites? Any tuxedos? Or just all regular. All my breeder bobwhites are brown, but I ended up having a bunch of white. So far, today 17 hatched (all others have pips and are hatching) and one is white. Probably more whites coming this hatch.Last hatch I had 3 whites. Hatch before that also three whites.

I got plenty of tuxedo and regular about 50/50. Just one white though so not sure how their genetics work. Have you had any luck taming yours? I’m working on getting mine to eat from my hand.

Back
Top Bottom