Bobwhite Varieties

Discussion in 'Quail' started by StevenW., Nov 25, 2010.

1. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    How many varieties r out there?? I know theres a lot of button quail but not sure about Bobwhite.

2. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    There is white, orange, mexican speckled, masked, and silver!! [​IMG]

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    From Largest To Smallest

Butler Giants (often Called Indiana Giants)
    Georgia Giants
    Wisconsin Jumbo (also Called Northern Jumbo)
    Standard Eastern Bob White

Special Note We Have A Byc'er Who Has Produced Another Strain Called The Slate Belt Monster Bob White--- Have Not Had Any Exposure To Them To Know Where They Fit Into The Scale Above (hint Charlie!)

Colorwise
    Standard Brown Bob Coloration
    Orange
    Blonde
    Snow Flake
    Mexican Speckled
    Tennessee Red
    White

4. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Can i see some pics of the orange,snowflake,blonde,silver and the mexican speckled!

5. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:SURE DO A BYC OR GOOGLE SEARCH FOR THEM... ALSO WWW.GBWF.ORG HAS MANY PIX OF ALL KINDS OF GAMEBIRDS - WHICH ARE CORRECT.

6. StevenW.

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:SURE DO A BYC OR GOOGLE SEARCH FOR THEM... ALSO WWW.GBWF.ORG HAS MANY PIX OF ALL KINDS OF GAMEBIRDS - WHICH ARE CORRECT.

Thanks and how hardy and loud r they?? There use to be a guy in town that had Bobwhites but they moved and he had them in a Run with gravel on the ground for them.... and housing

7. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Once Late Juvenile Age They're Pretty Hardy And Tolerate Temperature Extremes Quite Well. Loud? Well That Depends On The Birds Themselves And How Your Set Up--- When I Started Out With Them It Was Just A Few In Breeder Pens--- Couldnt Get Them To "bob White" For Nothing. Now I Have Breeder Pens, Grow Out Pens, And Brooder Pens Scattered Around And They Can Get A Lil Boisterous At Times. Not As Bad As Chickens But A Lil Worse Than Coturnix.

8. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Mine are not very loud.

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay

JJ please explain "correct" as I see information on the button quail that are not correct...

10. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Correct In This Case Is Correct Coloration And Patern On The Birds... Some Folks Cross Bobs Incorrectly And End Up With Mutts That They Would Sell As Snowflake... Or Mexican Speckled,,, Etc. To Someone Not Educated In Bobs They Would Not Know The Difference And Pay Premium Dollar For Mutts That Should Not Be Used For Propagation As These Mutts Only Muddy The Gene Pool. Same Thing With Many Ornimental Pheasants.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by