Bobwhite ?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by fowlman33, Sep 20, 2011.

1. fowlman33

fowlman33 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    when should I begin offering grit or oyster shell....what age ??

or anything outside of just their starter feed ???? My babies are about 2 weeks old, 75 of the little pitbulls...

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    YOU CAN OFFER GRIT AT ANY AGE, DEFINATELY BEFORE OFFERING ANY GRAIN TYPE/FORM FEEDS. THE OYSTER IS NOT NECESSARY, BUT ADULT HENS MAY APPRECIATE IT. IF YOU LOOK AROUND YOU MAY BE ABLE TO FIND "OYSTER GRIT" AND KILL 2 BIRDS WITH 1 STONE (PUN INTENDED [​IMG] ) ITS ACTUALLY OYSTER SHELL GROUND TO A MUCH SMALLER PARTICAL, I DONT KNOW HOW HARD IT MAY BE TO FIND IN YOUR AREA THO [​IMG]

3. fowlman33

fowlman33 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    thanks

4. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    I found a crushed Oyster shell at Pets Mart in the pet bird section. I will try and post some pictures tomorrow and see if it is what JJ is talking about. I hope it is. [​IMG] lol...

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    The Stuff I Get Is Pulverized To About The Same Size As The Granite Chick Grit You Get From Tsc... Looks Like The Oyster Shells Were Thinner To Start With Before Being Pulverized. Works Great For Quail, Small Enough You Could Even Feed It To Buttons. I Lucked Out And Found It At Local Feed Store, Comes In 40 Kilogram Thick Plastic Bags. Its A Lil More Expensive Than 50lb Bags Of Crushed Oyster Shell You'd Get For Chickens, But Its The Right Size And Almost Twice The Amount Of Oyster Shell And It Works Like A Charm And As I Said They Get It For Grit As Well, So Thats 1 Less Thing I Have To Find/ Buy/ Keep On Hand

6. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    It sounds about like what I have.
    I didn't think to mention it was a small box. But it was sunday, feed stores closed, and I figured it would get me started. I only have 9 birds at the moment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by