Bobwhite

Quailudes

Hatching
May 4, 2015
This my first incubating experience and I have one egg that pipped. Once he hatches do I feed him and give him water while he is in the incubator or wait til the others hatch? One more thing. I have 72 eggs that have been sitting out til this batch hatches. How long can they be dormant ? Some are 2 weeks old store at 70 degree temp. Please advise. Thanks

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

You will want to wait until the others have hatched before you open the lid to get this chick out. If you open the lid while the others are pipping, they can dry out and stick to the shell and die. If no others have hatched 26 hours, I would get him out of there.

2 weeks is too long to store eggs especially at 70 degrees. After 10 days, fertility can decline. Eggs should be stored large end up in egg cartons. given a turn a few times a day, kept at 50 to 60 degrees. At 70 degrees they can start to develop but not in a good way.

Leyla has told you true... I dont let my hatching eggs sit over 8-9 days. They sit on my counter top in a egg turner till I either mail them or set them myself. If you dated or placed them in some sort of order, cull the ones that are older and hope for the best. BTW, I truly love your forum name..... I guess you had to be there....

Now I feel bad. Should I even attempt to incubate the rest. I do not have them in any special order and in an egg crate large end up. I appreciate the info. Thanks

Now I feel bad. Should I even attempt to incubate the rest. I do not have them in any special order and in an egg crate large end up. I appreciate the info. Thanks
If you have room in your bator put them all in.... You can can candle in ten days and take all that glow clear, and shoot'em at the brat kids next door with a slingshot. The dark ones are developing and should do as well as the first batch. you may be surprised.... Good luck.

EDIT TO ADD: This is but one of the reasons I write the date collected on each egg with a sharpie.... You would not believe how many sharpies I have worn out on eggs!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom