1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bobwhites, pairs? Trios? More...?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Trapper Luke, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Trapper Luke

Trapper Luke Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2009
    Wanting to get some of the snowflake and mahogany color mutations of bobwhite this summer so they'll be ready to breed next spring. In the process of designing a breeding pen and been looking in the archives here for which their best kept in. Some say pairs others say trios are fine some even said 3-4 males per 9-10 females! I know bobwhite can be aggressive during breeding season so unless I had a big pen which I don't I figured I'm better off staying with one male per pen. My question is how many females can one male handle and still have a high feretily rate?

Thanks
    Luke

2. 2chicksagain

2chicksagain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Northern California
    I put mine in a 1-3 ratio and put them in different pens. Hope this helps! [​IMG]

3. Trapper Luke

Jul 26, 2009
    Thanks for the input!! With one male to three females what kind of fertitly rate do you average? Also what size of pen do you have that quad in? I plan on having a separate pen for each color mutation I get so knowing pen size to comfortably accommodate a quad would be helpful!!

Thank you!

4. 2chicksagain

2chicksagain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Northern California
    They are basically all fertile, and i would put the different types of quail in different pens Ex: a&ms are larger than coturnix. I'm not sure how big my pen is..

5. Trapper Luke

Jul 26, 2009
    Are you talking bout your bobwhites are a 1-3 ration or you got coturnix in that ration?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by