Bobwhites, pairs? Trios? More...?

Trapper Luke

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
Wanting to get some of the snowflake and mahogany color mutations of bobwhite this summer so they'll be ready to breed next spring. In the process of designing a breeding pen and been looking in the archives here for which their best kept in. Some say pairs others say trios are fine some even said 3-4 males per 9-10 females! I know bobwhite can be aggressive during breeding season so unless I had a big pen which I don't I figured I'm better off staying with one male per pen. My question is how many females can one male handle and still have a high feretily rate?

Thanks
Luke

Wanting to get some of the snowflake and mahogany color mutations of bobwhite this summer so they'll be ready to breed next spring. In the process of designing a breeding pen and been looking in the archives here for which their best kept in. Some say pairs others say trios are fine some even said 3-4 males per 9-10 females! I know bobwhite can be aggressive during breeding season so unless I had a big pen which I don't I figured I'm better off staying with one male per pen. My question is how many females can one male handle and still have a high feretily rate?

Thanks
Luke
I put mine in a 1-3 ratio and put them in different pens. Hope this helps!
smile.png

Thanks for the input!! With one male to three females what kind of fertitly rate do you average? Also what size of pen do you have that quad in? I plan on having a separate pen for each color mutation I get so knowing pen size to comfortably accommodate a quad would be helpful!!

Thank you!

Are you talking bout your bobwhites are a 1-3 ration or you got coturnix in that ration?

Back
Top Bottom