Bobwhites

Discussion in 'Quail' started by fowlman33, Dec 22, 2010.

1. fowlman33

fowlman33 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    ok guys and girls, as you can see, I am a newbie here !! I am getting an incubator for Christmas and would like to start raising some Bobs. I only plan to have about 50 or so. I am looking to get some hatchable egss in the early Feb timeframe. Can you tell me a good source for acquiring these eggs around that time, most places I have seen doesn't start until late spring or summer.

I also have 85 RIR girls that keep me "hammered" in eggs.....I started out with just 4 [​IMG]....that is when I knew I was hooked on raising chickens, now I want to branch out in the gamebird world [​IMG]

any suggestions would be great !!!

2. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    [​IMG]

I would shoot a PM to JJMR794, or you could try to contact him by his web site http://jmgamefarm.webs.com/. I know that he has great stock and he seems to be hatching birds all the time. He might have bobs at that time of year.
    Good luck with your search and welcome to the addiction.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Bobs Are True Gamebirds... While Some May Be Tricked Into Laying During Off Season Months With Supplimental Heat And Light, Many Will Not. Also Dont Expect Great Fertility On Out Of Season Eggs. If Left To Ma Nature's Design Breeding And Laying Season On These Guys Is Late Spring And Again In Early Fall

4. fowlman33

Dec 16, 2010
    Quote:So, if I get out of season eggs and say acquire 50.....I should expect somewhere around a 50% hatch rate ?? Which is fine by me, especially since I am just starting out.

5. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Actually 50% of 50% since shipped eggs don't hatch as good as fresh eggs.

6. fowlman33

Dec 16, 2010
    A 25% hatch rate is not very good at all [​IMG] Maybe I will wait !!

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Good Luck [​IMG]

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:[​IMG]

WISE IDEA... I GET A FEW EGGS EACH WEEK AND ONLY GET ABOUT 60% HATCH RIGHT NOW AND THE ONLY TRANSPORT THEY GET IS FROM THE PENS TO THE HOUSE BY HAND... YEAH WINTER FERTILITY IS KINDA LACKING...

9. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    They would likely freeze in shipping also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by