body coolant for quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quailmann, Jan 2, 2015.

1. quailmann

quailmann Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2014
    Since quail have a high body temperature, they keep drinking a lot of water and they're poop smells awful :(

They also spit out some water from their mouth I noticed.

Was in the feed store and saw two body coolant products. One called BetaMint (menthol based) and another called BodyCool

Will it be good to use one? Will it disturb their natural biology?

Any thoughts?

2. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Is it hot where you are now? They really shouldn't drink all that much in winter, especially to have it spurt out their mouths.

If you are having trouble with excess drinking and smelly poop consider trying fermented feed for your quail. It helps cut down on both as well as the cost of feed. See the thread in my signature or one of the other many threads on the forum about fermented feed.

I live in one of the hottest places on earth [​IMG] and have not had a need to use body coolant products.

3. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    Its summer here for me, so to cool my quail down I'll just mist them with a spray bottle and provide a shallow pan of cool water for them to stand in (which they really do enjoy on a hot day because it cools their feet down). Occasionally I'll put ice in their water to keep it cool. Plenty of shade, ventilation and dirt to dust bathe in will also keep their body temp from sky rocketing.
    Not sure about the foul smelling poop though...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by