1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Body Odor

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by violetsky, Oct 17, 2011.

1. violetsky

violetsky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    I have a big dog that has really bad doggy body odor.
    His coat gets dull and greasy feeling right after bathing
    and smells bad in just a day or two. He does not have fleas, hotspots
    or skin problems. You can wash him with flea shampoo,
    human shampoo, oatmeal shampoo and he will be stinky enough
    in a day people don't want to pet him. He's like Sienfield's car.
    If you pet him you need to shower right away. A friend said it
    might be bacterial and to add iodine to his next shampooing. I'm going
    to try bleaching the deck and sunroom where he hangs out.
    I did use a milder cleaner in the sun room where he hangs out. I'm thinking
    of dousing him with witch hazel. Any ideas??? We did bath
    him a lot this summer because it was so hot and I think that caused
    the problem, almost like is oil glands are in overdrive. Is there
    something I can feed him???

2. LotsaChicken

LotsaChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    My small dog is like this. He is a daschund, but he has the strongest dog odor I've ever smelled!! I'll give him a bath and he needs another the next day, but even after a bath you can still smell that smell about him. He sleeps in my sons room and it smells terrible!! I don't know why he smells so strong. He is a tiny little thing too, but boy does he have a big smell!

3. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    What kind of dog food is he getting?

4. redfeather

redfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Yes, what is he eating? Eating wheat/corn/soy/grain is not a natural part of a dogs diet an is hard for their body to process propery and very often contributes to a bad doggie odor. Dog food should contain no grains and as much meat as possible.

5. Orchid

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    The other thing you might check (or rather, have your vet check) is his ears. Ear infections can cause your dog to have that nasty "doggy" odor.

Thyroid problems in dogs can also cause them to be very smelly.

6. LotsaChicken

LotsaChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    I don't want to hijack the OP's post, but I'm watching this closely since I'm having the same issue with a dog. I don't think this is food related for mine because the two little dogs are eating the same food. I also know that mine does not have any sort of ear infection, as he was recently seen by a vet. I wish I would have thought to have asked the vet about his smelliness. This is an all over body smell. I've always thought it had to do with all of his extra skin and the fact that he doesn't have much fur (my daschaund is almost hairless in spots)?

7. Orchid

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:One of our neighbors had a cocker spaniel with some thyroid issues; she was very smelly and also had very thin fur (like you say, almost hairless in places). Might be worth mentioning to your vet.

8. violetsky

violetsky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    My dog is 10 months old and has looser skin than some and is an oversized breed. I thought that might be part of the
    problem, but see a dachshund has the same problem. He has been vet checked, and does not have ear mites. It might
    be food related as I do have to change brands every other bag as he seems to get bored. He eats at least a twenty pound bag a week plus 2 boxes of milk bone
    plus a couple of bags of rawhide treats. Currently he is eating his Caesar collar I just bought him but tends to leave most non edibles alone. I check
    protein/fat content and do not feed grain based foods. What are some of the Thyroid symptoms to look for?

What I'm thinking might be really off target but our deck has a lot of algae and I'm wondering if its causing some kind of reaction? I know my skin breaks out
    when I clean algae off my aquariums. He doesnt smell like algae but like someone turned up the volume on doggy cologne. Another question, can I powder
    him in baking soda? I'm getting nowhere with shampooing? Thanks for all the suggestions, I will look into thyroid problems as well.

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Quote:Food related issues can effect only one dog eating the same food.

10. la dee da

la dee da Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    Our dog aslo smelled, though not as badly as yours. Our vet said it was allergy related.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by