body odorous chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crazyhen, Nov 25, 2008.

1. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Is there something I can spray in the room I keep chicks that will not hurt them but get rid of their body odor. Not poop or ammonia odor. Just that chicken smell? Jean

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Febreeze or Airwick plug in work wonders. They really help quite a bit. I buy the strongest scent I can..... You have to change them every few weeks to be most effective but hey, it works!

3. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    I am a fan of baking soda sprinkled under their bedding. All natural and works great [​IMG]

4. ms.chik-a-dee

ms.chik-a-dee Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2008
    Quote:can you bathe a chicken

5. ms.chik-a-dee

ms.chik-a-dee Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2008
    how much does an incubator cost:yiipchick

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

ms.chik-a-dee :

how much does an incubator cost:yiipchick

You're more likely to get answers to your questions if you post them in the correct section.​

7. mainchick

mainchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    be careful with Febreeze! look up potential dangers online when animals are exposed to it. I know a freind that just swears her canary was killed by febreeze!

8. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I wouldn't suggest febreeze or other air freshners. I know my birds have very sensitive respiratory systems, and something like that coud kill them. I assume it isn't much different for chickens, as they are built prety much the same. I'd go for natural air fresheners :

Set out, where chicks cannot reach a dish of cut lemons or baking soda ,a bowl of charcoal, or cotton balls dipped in vanilla extract.

Simmer (on the stovetop or in a slow cooker) water, slices of ginger, and spices such as cinnamon, cloves, allspice, vanilla, and almond extracts.

Stick whole cloves into an orange, grapefruit or lemon and place near heater.

Fill a saucer with vanilla extract and place near the air intake register of heating system.

Fill a spray bottle with a pint of water and a tablespoon of vanilla extract. Use as a room freshener spray.

9. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Thanks all,
    I have started using hot tea during the day due to an infection and what do you know it also kills the odors. It is orange spice tea. I have it set on a wood stove all day so I can get a cup real often. It seems to be helping me and the smell.
    Like I said it is not the bedding , poop, or ammonia odor just the warm chicken smell. Mostly the food too I think. They never smelled till this last week.
    My chicks are 6 weeks old today. I am getting the area ready to put them out. It will be draft free and heated at first. I sure will miss the little sounds they make and seeing them when I first wake but everything has to grow up sometime. They will like their new place. A lot more head room and floor room. thanks again jean

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:The plug in's don't have the stuff the pray does. The heat gives off the scent. I have never had birds with any trouble with the plug in's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by