Boil and crush oyster shells?

calmhorizon

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Hello!

My Welsh Harlequins started laying on Christmas Day! I don't know who it is, but someone has laid an egg every day since. (I'm so proud! Good duckies!) I won't be going to the feed store until mid-January. I'm working out what to do for calcium until then. I can give them crushed eggshells.

OR

I sell shellfish for a living. I'm thinking of bringing home some of the more brittle-shelled oysters for dinner, then boiling the shells and smashing them into tiny bits with a hammer, and giving them to the ducks. Think that will suffice?

Can't wait the post a photo of the first eggs! The ducks are 5 months old, but I didn't think they would start laying until spring. It's gloomy here in Vancouver in December.

I haven't eaten any yet. I'm waiting for my roommate to get home from his Christmas holiday so we can have the "big moment" together.

Caroline

Fantastic..... it is so exciting... like a little gift.
Mine hatched the end of July and started laying a few weeks ago... it was three eggs a day for a while, but it has slowed down to two.... they vary in sizes, and color, I got a mishapen one - with a flat side one day. They were small at first, but seem to be getting a bit larger.

I hope you have a wonderful duck egg feast!!!

In addition to the oyster shells, you can also give your ducks some high calcium foods like collard greens or feeder fish. Most ducks like low fat cottage cheese too (just don't give too much).

Quote:
I live close to you.
frow.gif
Vancouver WA or Vancouver BC?
Whatever, our days are just as short and gloomy. Only 1 of my dux is laying right now, and none of my chickens.
As far as oyster shells go, I pick up shells on the shore, take them home and hammer them into pieces. My dux love them.

Back
Top Bottom