boil fresh eggs?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Chilebound, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Chilebound

Chilebound Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    We are new to this chicken thing---we are now getting over a dozen fresh eggs everyday! We are not used to real fresh eggs, and we have heard a rumor that they need to be 'agged' before one can make hard boiled eggs. 1) is this true 2) if so how long should one 'age' a fresh egg before boiling?

2. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    The won't peel as easy as "older" eggs.

I put my "fresh" store bought eggs on the counter for at least a few days, I'd put "real" fresh eggs on the counter for a good week or two before boiling.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Boil a pot of water. Use a thumb tac and tap the fatter part of the egg on it creating a small hole. Slowly drop the eggs into the water---hole side up. A little bit of egg may bubble out. Cook them for 5-10min. pour out the hot water, add cold until cooled down. I set mine in the fridge overnight once they are cooled. They may not peel perfect, but they will peel a whole lot better than did not using this method

4. Siler

Siler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Indiana
    My sister says to add a splash of vinegar to the water. I haven't tried this yet.

5. Chilebound

Chilebound Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Thanks for the information and the tricks--we have a few days worth of eggs just sitting for now, but I am sure we will also try a few other things you all mention too

6. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
  7. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I will wait until the "fresh" egg has been sitting on the counter for 4-5 days, then boil it in plain water, easy to peel. If I am over anxious and want to use an egg from today, I just add salt to the water, peels right off too. [​IMG]

8. txliss

txliss Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    The lady at the feed store said to add 1 Tbsp. white vinegar to the boiling water. I tried it, and it worked! [​IMG] Even on eggs fresh from the nest![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by