Boil water notice, are chickens susceptible?

Zinniah

Songster
Apr 12, 2015
Texas
So we got a notice today, and some people are saying they have gotten sick the last few days and I believe them, our city is notorious for having issues and not fixing them. I'm wondering if chickens would be susceptible to any of the possible bacteria, viruses or parasites that could now be in the water. Should I boil the water or would it probably be okay to not boil it? I refilled their water just the day before and they seem okay, a few watery poos but, that could be because I just started feeding them wet pellets. The store was out of crumbles and they wouldn't eat the pellets, i wet them so they would crumble.

Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) sets minimum water quality standards for public drinking water.
Loss of pressure of 20 psi or less could allow a back siphon to occur and contaminate the distribution system.
The back siphon could allow organisms including bacteria, viruses, and parasites that can cause symptoms such as nausea, cramps, diarrhea, and associated headaches.
These symptoms can be particularly severe in people who are not as resistant to infections as most of the population. (I don't know if chickens are resistant, i would hope so)
Due to the nature and severity of this violation, the TCEQ has required us to issue this public notice and to tell customers that they should boil their water prior to consumption.
To ensure destruction of all harmful bacteria and other microbes, any water that you use for drinking, cooking and ice making should be boiled and cooled prior to consumption.
The water should be brought to a vigorous rolling boil then boiled for two minutes.

I wouldn't worry too much about it - my chickens drink from puddles of dirty water after it has rained in preference to their fresh water - silly things! They seem to be just fine.

CT

Schools and restaurants in the area are temporarily closed for a couple of days for inspection the update said. Today they told us they are checking fire hydrants for contamination. Bacteria, Viruses, and Parasites is what they said in the first notice, haven't said anything since. So, it could be one or all or neither, but i think there is at least one, some people have gotten sick. They are also repairing a few other pipes that are susceptible to breaking. They said 2 or 3 days. I will double it, because they will call in 2 or 3 days and extend the time 2 or 3 days, lol. If there is something in the water, im sure they will fight through it, and become super immune chickens. Well, i hope at least. If there is something in the water, they already got it probably, I'll boil the water in case, since i only have 6 chickens its easy.

Back
Top Bottom