Boiled egg for pulletsi

Azmomm

Songster
Jan 29, 2019
Vail AZ
I know we can feed them boiled egg occassionally. Im not clear, do you mash the whole thing shell included or remove shell. Stupid question probably

Boiled eggs are probably soft enough for them to eat it by pecking at the whole thing, but you might want to mash it up if they are struggling to eat it. It also depends on how young they are. Little cheeps will need the bites smaller than adult chickens :)

Boiled eggs are probably soft enough for them to eat it by pecking at the whole thing, but you might want to mash it up if they are struggling to eat it. It also depends on how young they are. Little cheeps will need the bites smaller than adult chickens :)
Do you feed them the shell as well? 10 weeks old

I've seen adult chickens cut a mouse or frog into bite sized pieces with their beaks. They can draw blood if they are serious when they peck you. I've seen a two week old chick kill a sibling by pecking its head repeatedly. A boiled egg would be really easy for 10-week-olds to peck to pieces and eat. Don't think a boiled egg is too hard for it to eat.

Still, I'd peel it, toss the peel since a 10-week-old chick does not need the extra calcium (though in reality it would probably not be enough to hurt the chick), and crush/crumble it. I think they are more likely to eat it that way. If I were feeding the egg to adults I'd leave the shell on when I crushed it.

I've seen adult chickens cut a mouse or frog into bite sized pieces with their beaks. They can draw blood if they are serious when they peck you. I've seen a two week old chick kill a sibling by pecking its head repeatedly. A boiled egg would be really easy for 10-week-olds to peck to pieces and eat. Don't think a boiled egg is too hard for it to eat.

Still, I'd peel it, toss the peel since a 10-week-old chick does not need the extra calcium (though in reality it would probably not be enough to hurt the chick), and crush/crumble it. I think they are more likely to eat it that way. If I were feeding the egg to adults I'd leave the shell on when I crushed it.
We had a chipmunk going for my girls feed. I would have hate to see what would have happened to it if the red would have caught it.

Back
Top Bottom