Boiled Egg Question

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ArizonaNessa, Apr 13, 2009.

1. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Can anyone tell me why when I used my own eggs and boil them then try to peel them they tear up horribly but when I purchase eggs from the store and boil them they peel wonderfully. I add salt to my water and do everything the same but I can't peel my yard eggs and it saddens me to have to support the egg industry because I have seen first hand how terrible it can be.

Any reasons or suggestions are greatly appreciated.[​IMG]

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Store bought eggs are OLD and yours are nice and fresh. [​IMG] Boil w/salt in water then cool in ice water before peeling. The faster you cool them the easier the peeling will be.

I've even heard that if you put a pin hole in the big end before boiling that makes them easier to peel as well.

3. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    Yes, boiling is the only application where fresher is not better!

4. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    yea fresh eggs are hard to peel. you need to take them out of the boiling water then they go straight into ice cold water for about 2-3 minutes and they will peel just like old eggs.!

5. ArizonaNessa

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    OMG call me an idiot but I am totally grossed out at the thought that I have been eating OLD eggs. [​IMG]

6. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    [​IMG] LOL! sorry I remember when I peeled my first hard boiled egg.I was like what the he*% Tells you something more about store bought eggs and there so called (farm fresh eggs) HA!

7. ArizonaNessa

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Well I always have to go buy store eggs for easter and I tell you, I am not feeling so well about those stuffed eggs I just had with dinner. I can't wait to make stuffed eggs with my good eggs. I bet they taste wayyyyy better.

8. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    You can also just leave your eggs sit for a couple weeks in the fridge before boiling, thus making them old. Still not as old as store bought eggs though, lol.

9. ArizonaNessa

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Well how freakin' old are those eggs in the store? I might not want to know this but curiosity killed the cat.

10. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    Try a month..No Kidden! I use to work in a grocery store [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by