Boiled Eggs...what am I doing wrong???

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Juliehoward, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Juliehoward

Juliehoward New Egg

Mar 29, 2009
    Hello,

I'm very new to keeping chickens, and really enjoying it.

I have 4 lovely hens and they're very happy and healthy and laying well.

The question I have is.....

today I boiled a few eggs for a salad, and the shells were really difficult to remove as the shells were wanting to stick to the white of the egg. It doesnt bother me, and they tasted lovely, but we have friends coming over tomorrow for a bbq and wondered if I was doing something wrong (i would like the eggs to look AND taste perfect tomorrow lol)

the eggs boiled were 4 days old

thanks
    Julie

2. DALBERT

DALBERT Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    Maine
    When the chickens get older the shell will seperate easier.

3. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Can't hard boil eggs that fresh. Some hold them for at least 3 weeks before hard boiling them. Some have their own tricks too. Just have to find one that works for you.
    Good luck

BTW:welcome

4. Juliehoward

Juliehoward New Egg

Mar 29, 2009
    [​IMG]
    thank you for that...trouble is we only have 4 hens....and try to keep the eggs down to about 6 on stock....so we give some away to neighbours and never have an egg thats 3 weeks old lol

might keep some on stock in future !!!!

thanks again
    Julie

5. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    I've been told that a hint of vinegar or a hint of salt will help. I've tried the salt trick and it didn't help me any. I haven't tried the vinegar yet.

Edited: The vinegar or salt would go in the water the eggs are boiled in. Forgot that part. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  6. mwdh1

mwdh1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Indiana
    Some people say You can add some salt to the water, and that will help the shells come loose, You may also try dropping them in Ice water imeadiately when you take them out of the pan.

7. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    There are lots if threads on here that tell you how to boil fresh eggs. (I've never gotten my hens eggs aged enough to peel good; really makes you wonder eggsactly how old those store eggs are!!)

Do a search and you will find a lot of suggestions. Personally I add a generous amount of salt to my eggs before boiling. Bring to a boil, turn to simmer for 15 minutes. Immediately cool with cold water and peel.

Good luck with the eggs and with the barbeque!! Make them want some egg makers in their own backyard and you will officially be a sucessful back yard chicken pro; after all it's all about addiction on here!!!!

8. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    I hard boil my BR eggs all the time. You just need to peel them when they are still warm. The shell will come off much easier that way. Also I found if you are going to put them in the fridge after boiling, add a drop or two of veggie oil in the water as they are boiling this will help with peeling cold eggs. This is just what I found works for me!

9. Juliehoward

Juliehoward New Egg

Mar 29, 2009
    Well thanks for that. I suppose its trial end error, but will have a go at some of the suggestions.

Juile

10. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    you want too use older eggs, not fresh, for hardboiling! the shells will come of ALOT easier....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by