Boiling Eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by SierraMA, Aug 19, 2008.

1. SierraMA

SierraMA Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Cape Cod, MA
    I like to make soft boiled and deviled eggs. Does anyone else have a problem with peeling the shells off the eggs? The eggs don't really look that great for deviled eggs. They still taste great. Is there a secret? I didn't have this problem with "store" bought eggs. Thanks

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Please use the search feature and you will find 2 threads (maybe more) on peeling eggs.

Fresh eggs do not peel well.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  4. SierraMA

May 15, 2008
    Cape Cod, MA
    Thanks for the info. I am going to try these methods.

5. Brick243

Brick243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southeast Oklahoma
    We were having trouble peeling our fresh eggs. Someone told us to put salt in the water when boiling them. It did help.

6. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I made deviled eggs today on very short notice, so all I had was fresh eggs, some were layed this morning. I boiled the water with salt in it. I poked a hole in the fat end of the egg as I dropped them in carefully into the boiling water. ( I got that tip off of a thread on here) The hole plugs up with the whites very quickly. I boiled them for 10 minutes , then covered them and took them off the heat. I let them sit for about 15 minutes then ran cold water over them and started pealing. The shells came off perfect, not one egg was ruined and like I said, some I collected right before I boiled them! The shells pealed right off easily.
    I will never make fresh deviled eggs any other way!!! They were PERFECT!!

THANK YOU to who ever figured that out!!!

7. SierraMA

May 15, 2008
    Cape Cod, MA
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I have tried the salt and that worked pretty well. I am going to try poking the hole way next time. I will let you know the outcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by