boiling my first rooster

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by JaceTx, Mar 6, 2009.

1. JaceTx

JaceTx Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    I am culling an 8-9 month old rooster today. I plan on boiling it and making chicken egg salad. Do I need to let the bird "rest" in the refrigerator for 2-3 days as some people suggests?

Thanks

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    That's probaly a good idea. Also--don't "boil"--simmer it for a long period of time, and toss in some onions and a pinch of salt to help tenderize it.

I'm sure it will be great for chicken salad sandwiches.

3. JaceTx

Feb 6, 2009
    Thanks for the info. Has anyone slowly cooked (simmered) a rooster directly after a kill without letting it sit in the fridge for a couple days? How did it turn out?

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I think the reason people let them "rest" is to make sure that they fully go through rigor mortis. If you try to eat them too soon, they'll be particuarlly tough because their muscles will still be contracted due to rigor mortis.

5. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] Chicky Tocks runs screaming from the thread!

6. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:One f my old laying hens I butchered and cooked right away. I will never do that again--let it rest a bit. Asl ong as the limbs are moving freely ( that is-after rigor mortis is gone) It will be ready to cook.

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Ditto on waiting for awhile. Better to rest it than deal with that toughness.

Good luck.

8. JaceTx

Feb 6, 2009
    Thanks again for the responses. How long after cleaning should I let them sit after in the fridge for birds that will be frozen? (these are just farmyard chickens) Also I have some jumbo cornish hens coming. Do I let then sit as wellafter cleaning?

Also just in a pan in the fridge or in water?

Thanks again

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  9. henjoy

henjoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    Usually I bag mine up just like I'm going to freeze them and leave in the bottom of my refrig for 2-3 days. Then, if there is any liquid in the bag, I drain it off, double bag my birds and freeze. It works great for me.

10. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I usually butcher 10 meat birds at a time and I don't have the room in the fridge so I place them in a cooler and cover with ice and let them "rest" for 24 hours before freezing.
    Oh, one other piece of advice if you use the cooler method bring the cooler inside, don't let it sit outside, I made that mistake once and some critter had a free plucked and gutted chicken dinner [​IMG] What was I thinking.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by