Boils vs in-grown hairs.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by debilorrah, Jun 30, 2010.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Gross topic I know, but I need to know what the heck is growing out the side of my neck!!!! It doesn't seem to be big enough for a boil to me, but when I asked my son to see if it would pop, he said " OH darn!!!!!"

Anyone got pics? [​IMG]

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

GROSS!!! [​IMG] You should post this one on " BACKYARD BOILS" [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

Quote:It is gross. But it is my reality. Dang thing HURTS too!!!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    This thread is useless without PIKCHURS!!!

5. debilorrah

Quote:Sorry my phone is dead til I pay the bill. Moving and all kinda made us pick our battles.

6. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    A boil can be an infected ingrown hair, so it could be both. Try wetting a washcloth with hot water or nuking it in the microwave to make a warm compress for it. After you have held it on the "thing" for a while, try popping it. You can try lancing it with a sterilized needle as well.

Hope it goes away quick!! Those things are painful!

7. debilorrah

Quote:The only thing I haven't tried is lancing it. That will be my next step. And THANK YOU SHELBY for taking me seriously. Gross topic, I know [​IMG]

8. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:The only thing I haven't tried is lancing it. That will be my next step. And THANK YOU SHELBY for taking me seriously. Gross topic, I know [​IMG]

Not a problem! I don't get grossed out easily. Heck, I'd even help pop the thing for you if I wasn't in my jammies and didn't wanna drive the few miles to your new place. [​IMG]

9. WyandotteTX

WyandotteTX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    In my own experience, I would say not to lance or pop it. An outside chance that it is a boil but that it could also be a staph infection. I had a similar one on my neck 5-6 years ago. Tried to get the wife to "work" on it and it turned out to be a staph infection that spread over my neck and I had to take serious antibiotics for three weeks and also get three shots on consecutive days.
    IF it is a very dark color(like dark red or purple) and it hurts a great deal, you might be wise to go to the doctor and have them check it out just to make sure.
    Hope it gets better for you soon!

10. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    I love funky stuff like that. My husbands only fault is that he has really good skin so I hardly ever get to pick. [​IMG]

I agree with the moist heat to try to bring it to a head.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by