1. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    Hi all,

My rooster has been sick for a while he has Marek's and I am slowly nursing him back to health. I gave him a warm soak in epsom salt this morning and decided to give him a good once over to make sure there were no bed sores or anything like that. I checked around his vent area and found some small red bumps on him and a medium sized one on his vent. Here are the pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does anyone have any idea what they are and what caused them? Is there something I can do in order to help them go away or heal?

All feed back is appreciated.

Update - Thanks for all the advice, the epsom salt seems to have cured it quickly, just two soaks and they were almost gone.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If your rooster is recuperating from Mareks disease, it is possible the sores are from a low immune system. Do you have him on vitamins, as they would help with these possible sores and other issues he may be having. You could try putting on some Neosporin or some Liquid Wound Care which helps with skin irritations. Make sure he is on a good diet of Flock Raiser of some sort and some probiotics for his intestinal tract that might boost his immunity also. Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by