boinking

Discussion in 'Quail' started by da1goth2, Jul 24, 2014.

1. da1goth2

da1goth2 In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    wales
    ok so my male quail just boinked his head, i'm seriously worried about him, i saw it happen and now he's limping and won't put his foot down, it looks a bit bruised, i don't have a clue if it is serious or not :( i tried to get him to move around a bit an he did put his foot down, will he be ok or not? it's just i have no idea about this sort of thing. how on earth he's hurt his leg i do not know as it was his head he hit :(

2. da1goth2

da1goth2 In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    wales
    Also one of the females just started pecking at him, so i removed her and put her in a box so the male can recover, as the other quail don't seem interested in him, was that a good idea or not? i think he's sleeping now so i'm hoping he will be ok soon, i'm still pretty worried about him, but reading online people seem to have had birds with seemingly worse injurys who recover completely, so maybe i shouldn't be so worried, it's just i'm new to keeping quail and i suppose, you just have to learn as you go, i have done alot of reasearch into quail before getting these but it doesn't make it any less worrying when problems arise.

3. dc3085

dc3085 Crowing

You're doing things correctly. They can survive much worse. They don't get to flight condition themselves much in small cages so in effect they really don't know how to fly well. He probably just landed bad on his leg or go it hooked on the wire when he was flying. He should be fine as long as he can move around enough to get to food and water.

4. COsteveo

COsteveo Chirping

Apr 16, 2014
    I had one end up with a crooked neck, but is otherwise fine. It seems like they try to fly for a week or two around the time when their feathers are just finishing growing in, crouching and launching themselves, but they settle down after that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: