BOLD fox went in yard while we were outside!!n

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by oconnorfamily25, Sep 18, 2010.

1. oconnorfamily25

oconnorfamily25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    today we took the new silkie chicks out and were sitting next to the little pen where the chicks were, when a unhealthy looking fox started to chase our rhode island reds. we grabbed the bb gun to scare it away, and it went after a specific chicken, ellie. Ellie ran and hid, while we chased the animal away. we were lucky that there were no casulaties, though Ellie was very frightened.

2. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Glad that you and your chickens came through unscathed. Nervy aren't they?
    I had a similar experience about a month ago. A young fox came into our fenced back yard. Then it started coming up the back steps to where I was sitting looking at it (aghast at the nerve) through the kitchen windows. I opened the door for the two corgis, and it disappeared in a flash. Haven't seen it since.

ETA Spelled since s e n s e.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    We have gray foxes that show up here all the time--I once came eye ball to eye ball with one through the chicken yard fence. We have two big Russian mulberry trees and they love the fruit--will spend all day out there if no one bothers them. On the other hand, if this was an "unhealthy" looking animal chances are it has mange and needed a quick lunch. I'd call local fish and game to get someone to put him down--or do it myself if it were legal.

4. oconnorfamily25

oconnorfamily25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    thank you for the good ideas. after the incident, we discovered our first egg, with double yolks!! we are keeping the hens in the coop when we go out now, until the fox is dead. about the fox that you had in your yard, that is frightening.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    If the animal looked unhealthy then I would report the incident to AC or Fish and Game. There may have been a slew of reports already made about this animal that you don't know about. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Glad you didn't lose anyone. Good luck.

6. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Around here, if you see a fox during the day acting boldly, or coon, or other nocturnal mammal, it is ominous. Better to kill it immediately as it could be rabid.

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I found a dead fox in the yard yesterday that the dogs killed. [​IMG] I hope it was the one that was getting my flock!

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:That's one of those urban myths, not necessarily true. Foxes and coons are often out and about in the daytime. Check this out on your state's conservation site.

9. LALASD4

LALASD4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    A few days ago during lunch time a coyote was inside my fenced in backyard and I chase it off with a long stick. I see coyotes in front of my house many time day and night, I think they want my chickens or ducks.[​IMG]

10. GardeningChef

GardeningChef New Egg

Sep 18, 2010
    I remember a time about five or six years ago when the sun was almost down and it was getting dark quick, we had a fox running around pretty close to our house, and we live in a rural/suburban area without chickens. We weren't being quiet either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by