Bonded pair of parrotlets - no longer for sale

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Chickfever, May 7, 2009.

1. Chickfever

Chickfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    girl is trying to sit on eggs.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  2. Chickfever

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
  3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Wish I was closer. I have a lone female parrotlet that I adore. She has laid eggs (no male though) and she didn't need peace and quiet. My bird was bought secondhand from craigslist and she had never been handled so it took a lot for me to tame her but she is now super sweet and loving. I hope you find a home for your pair, thay are suce a treat to have!

4. Chickfever

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    Quote:Mine hasn't laid an egg. I think that's a problem with all the girls around here. My chickens aren't laying, my turkey isn't laying, my parrotlet isn't laying..... [​IMG]

How old was yours when she started laying? They are beautiful birds and not very loud at all (I've had a lovebird and parakeets and they are much quieter).

5. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Mine is almost 2, I think but she started to lay right after I got her (mid-summer last year) she was a year old when I got her. I joined a parrotlet forum and got a ton of info about how they are, kind of like BYC. I bonded with her and she statred laying because she looked at me as a mate instead of her owner. Well I finally broke her of that and she has been a great bird since. Something I read is that they are loners and should only be in seperate cages until mating season and then seperated after mating. It might be worth a shot for you if you really want to bond with them on an individual basis and keep them as pets. I will find the link to the forum also if you want me to [​IMG]

6. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Oh and they will talk, it's like a whisper and you have to listen carefully. If you search youtube for parrotlets talking, there are a lot of videos!!

7. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Here is the link.
    http://www.birdboard.com/forum/parrotlet/

I don't want to try and talk you into keeping them if you really don't want to, it just sounds like you have reservations about it. I just want you to know that they can be everything you expect and more, sometimes it just takes a little more work with some [​IMG]

8. Chickfever

Jul 22, 2007
    Southwest VA
    I'll check it out. I had to wait a month before I could go get them (because of bad weather and the distance) and I just couldn't wait. Then when I got them here, they were both terrified of anything that moved and wouldn't eat for a day or two. The only interaction they tolerate from me is peeking out from under their blanket when I uncover them in the morning. They chirp a little as if to ask if it's alright to chirp more. They are quite until I uncover them (which is a total change from the lovebird and parakeets I had).

Thanks!

9. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    It sounds like my girl, Pepper. She was terrified when she got here. But she had also been severly neglected her whole life. I wish you lots of luck on whatever you choose to do. If you decide to keep them, let me know if you have any questions, I will be more than happy to help if I can!
    Oh, and Pepper chirps in the morning as well and she also like to chirp when she sees me and I haven't held her yet. But she is so quiet most of the time unlike my crazy Conure, Gabby!

10. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Can you ship?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by