Bonding or Imprinting

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Green Liver, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Green Liver

Green Liver Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    Monroe, Washington
    How do I know for sure if my duckling is bonding or imprinting with me? I was a bit worried about only getting one duck but we play and bathe and he/she is so quite, unitl I'm out sight. He/she sleeps on me during the day, I can not leave Quack-Quack's bed though without crying very loudly until asleep. But he/she also will sleep and cuddle with my Fiancee and let me leave the room when he is in the same room. He is begining to sleep more with out my shoulder and lap during the day but not a whole lot yet. I read for a couple of months on both ducks and chickens as pets before I made my decision but these are 2 topics I never realy found a whole lot of information on, How do you KNOW imprinting and bonding have/are taking place and how old will your duckling be before he/she will go t obed by themselves?

Thank You :)

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    1. Did you hatch the bird yourself? If not then it's most likely bonding with you not imprinting.

2. It will be quite awhile. Ducks are social flock creatures and need a companionship at all time. Is it possible for you to get another duckling?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  3. Green Liver

Mar 11, 2013
    Monroe, Washington
    I did not hatch Quack-Quack I got him at 2 days old and he is 7 days today. I can get another but I am with him 24/7 and plan on being at all times, if not me than my Finacee. I have even gotten a carrier and playpen for him. I have owned other exotic birds in the past and if you buy 2 of them they will bond with the other bird, will this not happen with ducks? He does seem sad or lonely

4. DenverDucky

DenverDucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I have an imprinted pekin and I'm with her all the time. She even goes on vacation with me. Are you planning to diaper your little one?

5. Green Liver

Mar 11, 2013
    Monroe, Washington
    I have a harness on the way [​IMG] I was so exicted for Quack-Quack to come to our home and now even my Fiancee is happy to have a duck as a pet. We have already made up our minds that if he should ever seem lonely or sad we would get another but we just are not feeling that this is the case and hope that our constant companionship will keep him happy (like a Cockitiel or African Grey).

6. DenverDucky

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Nice! Where did you order your harness from? Is it duckling sized or adult sized? My favorite place to order is fashionmyfeathers.com ;) My ducky loved Feathered Fashions harnesses because they work and they are also cute <3

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  7. Green Liver

Mar 11, 2013
    Monroe, Washington
    They are duckling size right now and will need to order another by the time he is 4 weeks. I ordered them from the goose's mother. I have not heard of fashion feathers but am going to go there right now.[​IMG]

8. DenverDucky

Mar 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I used those duckling diapers too and they did the job hah.

9. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

When the duckling follows you around and needs to stay with you (or your fiancee) it is imprinted. Imprinting works best within the first day, but it's still possible the next. It sees you as its mother and will always depend on you and will never be able to get along with other ducks because it cannot comprehend that these are its conspecifics.
    I hope you know what a burden you have brought into your home and that you are raising it against its natural habits.

10. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Is someone going to be with the duckling 24/7 for the next 10-15 years? It is unlikely that your life will not change in some way whether it be a job change, children etc.
    Introducing another bird later in life does not guarantee that the 2 will bond or even tolerate each other. Ducks don't imprint on siblings and can be raised as people friendly pets with other ducks.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by