Bonding with the new neighbors...long

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LarryPQ, Sep 4, 2009.

1. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    So last night the family and I went for a walk and passed by the "new" neighbors house. They were going to go hunting with friends this morning, so in preparation for the big event, the group was slowly but surely filling up the back of the truck with empties.

Since we hadn't yet had a chance to socialize with them, the DH left our walk and went to go make nice-nice. A few hours later I get a call from the DH wanting to know what to feed a duckling.

Say what?

Apparently they were all hanging around the truck when one of the ladies screamed! She thought a frog had run across her foot. After much investigation they discovered it was a duckling. (I can totally see 8-10 drunkards crawling around under the trucks with key-chain flashlights)

It is unlikely it wandered over from another neighbor's house--since the poor thing would have had to traverse a number of large yards, found its way through several chain and block fences, and sneak past at least 6 big dogs. I am betting some wild-ish ducks from the nearby park flew over, saw thier pool, and stopped for a bit. It is really warm here now. In the parks you'll see lots and lots of unattended duck/geese eggs incubating themselves under bushes. The new nieghbors have auto-sprinklers so it is certainly possible.

So then the question became, what to do with it? Scream lady was instantly **in love**, but they have two big hunting dogs. My DH has always been very anti-duck, but he too, fell in love. In the end, scream lady decided to keep it but if it didn't work out, DH would adopt it.

Then they called--what to feed it? I had some chick starter and other yummies to tide it over until she could get to the feed store, plus she needed some instructions for a basic brooder. At 10 PM the lot of them tromped over to our house. The kiddos were sleeping (but I was up working on my coop page [​IMG] ) so we used the greatest resource ever (BYC) for some duckling research.

Anywhoo---they left around 11:30 after comsuming much of our beer. All in all, a group of good people. BUT-we did get a call at 6:30 this morning. Apparently hangover-hunting stinks....

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Was it a wild duck or a domestic duck?

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Looks to be a regular old mallard duck. I took pics for BYC member verification but didn't bring the camera to work. The nearby park supports every type of duck imaginable, year round.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  4. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Well atleast you know they wont be complaining about your chickens [​IMG]

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Certainly! They wouldn't be complaining about my chickens anyway. We're the last people on the block to have some--- All the people behind me hem (so 7 houses in a row) have multiple roosters.

All morning long..ra ra ra ra rooooooo! bawk bawk bawk baaaaawwwwwwkkkk!

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Ok that is a funny story!!! [​IMG]

7. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I think its cute that...

Since we hadn't yet had a chance to socialize with them, the DH left our walk and went to go make nice-nice. A few hours later I get a call from the DH wanting to know what to feed a duckling.

If my DH was at the neighbors for a few hours, I would worry that they were hiding the body [​IMG]

8. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I think you may have some nice new neighbors...my kinda folks beer drinking and hunting go hand in hand!

9. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Have you visited the Redneck thread!?? Because your story belongs there too!! [​IMG] Very cute, thanks for sharing and congrats on the nice fun, new neighbors!

10. Ashmeade

Ashmeade Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    For feeding, you want to make sure the feed is non-medicated__most chick starter is medicated and can kill waterfowl...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by